Quantcast

Corby Starlet CJ-1 discussion thread.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MikePousson

This will be the do's and don't' discussion associated with my other builders log thread on the Corby I purchased yesterday. At my age I don't get pumped often. It's usually just "Meh". But when I saw what I had driven 2 1/2 hours to look at I was wow. The more I checked the craftsmanship and materials used and metal fabricated for hinges, brackets, one piece ( instead of two piece) main gear leg, and everything else involved, I was just blown away. When he asked me what is my offer, I just looked at him. I told him he was going to get from me what he asked. He was set aback also and he knocked a few hundred off because I wasn't trying to play hardball with him.
Its 99% wood with a spruce D Box spar as the main component of a cantilevered wing. The original builder made 2 spars instead of one long spar with steel hangers inserted into the cockpit spar receiver box to be able to have removable wings. All of the plywood skins are aircraft grade 1/16 inch Finnish birch, except the wings leading edge uses 1/8 inch Finnish birch. All the wood and hardware were bought from Aircraft Spruce here in Ontario.
So , I'm all ears when it comes to advice. The other thread will be dormant till I get the plane here and ready to get at it.
mike

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Mike: look's like you found yourself a great plane. I will follow your thread's, and you have fun with that Starlet. Don

MikePousson

Thanks Don. It's probably a 50 to 60 hour assembly and tweaking, but, really what I wanted was to do something in wood other than new houses and kitchen cabinets and furniture. So I'll probably extend it out and admire as I go along, so realistically it'll get stretched out. I'll have plenty questions about fabric over wood do's and donts. Stewart Systems has a 2 part Utube series on covering a Cub with Ceconite. But that was tube, not wood.

Kevin N

Count me as one of the jealous spectators. The Corby is another airplane on my bucket list. A fine performer on the VW engine. I lurk on the Starlet yahoo board and its probably one of the best yahoo boards for aviation, lots of activity mostly from the builders and pilots down under. Lots of pictures too.

skier

I'm another one here who has loved the looks of the Starlet for year. Good luck on finishing her up. Can't wait to see photos!

MikePousson

Thanks guys. Not sure what my total investment will be, but it's going to be on the low end of my budget. So a good simple white design with three ribbons intertwining down each side would look nice. Purple, yellow, and green. I'm a Louisiana boy and with Mardi Gras so prominent down there and that's the dominant colors, I think I can make it work out. I'll probably use some automotive catalyst type paint as there's not a lot of square footage to paint. Here's an example below. Something along those lines.

Attachments

MikePousson

Count me as one of the jealous spectators. The Corby is another airplane on my bucket list. A fine performer on the VW engine. I lurk on the Starlet yahoo board and its probably one of the best yahoo boards for aviation, lots of activity mostly from the builders and pilots down under. Lots of pictures too.
Thanks for the yahoo boards tip. I need to talk with those guys down under. There are very few flying in North America.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thanks for the yahoo boards tip. I need to talk with those guys down under. There are very few flying in North America.
Friend of mine in IA had one for several years and sold it when he decided he wanted something with folding wings. Had a 2180 VW engine. He said it was a fun little airplane.

Dan

MikePousson

I don't have the plans in hand, so I can't say anything about a fold up wing. This one has separate cantilevered wings that slip together in a spar box and are bolted together, similar to a Sonex. There is an option in the drawings for one continuous cantilevered spar that slips into an open bottom spar box and bolted to the fuselage. Very similar to composites. Makes it difficult to trailer.

MikePousson

Im not sure if it was affiated with Corby himself, but there is/was and outfit called One Design that modified different aircraft wing structures from original to heavy aerobatic. The original plans have a +6.9 G rating so it is plenty strong for light aero, but that's not my thing. I'm a straight line flyer type of feller. A coordinated turn is all the aerobatics in interested in.
The specs show Vne of 150 mph, and cruise speed of 140, yet another spec sheet says it it was tested with a VW 2180 at a speed of 185 cruise with the Vne of 185.
the plane has already been registered in Canada as a BULA (basic ultralight) and has tail numbers. Once I get posession, I'll track the original builder down in Guelph, Ontario and find out exactly what I have (or has me). He did all the structural building.

Here an interesting aerobatic video involving the CJ-1. It had to have been modified.
http://youtu.be/JU33hplk0tI

I forget which one, but one is stronger than the other.

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

They originally had a one-piece wing/spar. Someone offered a two-piece wing to facilitate building, seems there was even a three piece wing which bolted together. A more recent mod calls for reinforcement of the one-piece wing to allow a higher gross weight (750 lbs) so I guess that would be the strongest one.

Adamo

Hello,

Anybody here finished / built a complete Corby Starlet plane?

I need some answers about building costs, hours, etc..

MikePousson

Well, I'm preparing to get started on a Corby project I just bought. I can't tell you the hours as I have not started from scratch. I have not found anyone who posted a bulid log online. That's probably because most were built before the Internet and digital cameras. The Corby Starlet Yahoo Group has a wealth of information if you can figure out the navigation of the group.
Costs would probably be in the neighborhood of $17000+ US dollars. The Spruce and plywood is the major costs along with a VW or Jab 2200 engine. Medium duty fabric for the wings and light duty fabric for the fuselage, along with the necessary adhesives and fillers also is figured in.
My opinion is that on any project that will probably take years to build, costs are not too relative if you have an idea of the end cost, and can spread it out over a few years.
Good luck
Mike

Wood part spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pj-YYeQqd9_yOOddpM8bCaRJeVYLlUKoYo8tUrcxMmU/htmlview?pli=1

Last edited: