CopperState Experimental Fly-in Oct 28-29

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

skeeter_ca

Driving out to the CopperState Fly-in and camping on site. Any one else?

Darrell Whiteaker
President - Volmer Club of America

Toobuilder

Log Member
I was looking at it again this year but seems unlikely.

The change in venue to a towered field (Falcon) is going to be interesting. I suspect it will scare some of the vintage stuff away.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
The event seems to be getting smaller from what I have seen in the past. I was there for about 3 hours today admiring a few aircraft and talking to some old and new friends. Fewer vendors of actual aircraft building related stuff and more food vendors and other things.

There was a really nice polished Swift with mods. A few antiques and their aircraft too. Really clean Acrosport I .....that thing is getting smaller or I am getting larger. A handful of KRs and the usual plethora of Vans RV aircraft. Rutan designs will probably melt out here.

Pete Plumb had his O-100 out and was scheduled to run it later today.

Didn't see any Aircraft Spruce specials to get excited about.......frankly, I don't remember seeing any specials.

There were avionics vendors with some pretty fancy looking panels mocked up.

Terry

I have lived out here since 1988 and the heat still bothers me......

Victor Bravo

I just got an invite to drive out there with a friend. I guess I'm going to CopperState this year.
Fly out there with Jimmy... plenty of interesting desert landing spots on the way. I can give you a bunch of them. The General Patton Desert Training Center museum is right at an airstrip at Chiriaco Summit.

stevel

This will be with another Jim. I hope to get the two of you together soon. You could teach each other quite a bit, and he's an all-around great guy. He works a few minutes away from Whiteman, so I'm pretty sure that we can make it happen.

Do you know what the nature of the O-100 presentation will be? I think that is one that I will attend.

Victor Bravo

I believe that the O-100 presentation will be an all-inclusive history of the project, with emphasis on what the latest developments are, and further emphasis on the progress of flight testing. He has to address the fact that the majority of people at Copperstate may not have been aware of the engine, so the people who have been following it will have to sit through the parts they already know.

I do not know whether he will be flying the aircraft in to Copperstate.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Pete had his O-100 powered Cracker Jack at the event. I had the privilege and honor of holding on to the tail when he did a run up toward the end of the day. Really nice running engine.

I saw some of the same planes as last year, including the Acrosport I mentioned last year and a really pristine Minicab.

The plethora of RVs and plastic airplanes don't do much for me. I remember when Long EZes dominated the fly-in and only one was in the display area today.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
I forgot to mention seeing a beautiful 1953 Farmall Super M that was pulling one of the people trams.......I really like old tractors. I hope to someday restore the "H" back on the farm in Illinois in a few years......just worried I will runout of time and with so many projects waiting for me.

Group Builder