Copper State Fly-In

Discussion in 'Upcoming Events and Trip Reports' started by tralika, Jan 13, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 30, 2020 #21

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I'll be there on Friday and Saturday. Give me a call or text at (602) 677-7828.

2. Feb 8, 2020 #22

stevel

stevel

stevel

OOPS! I was so underwhelmed by the exhibitor turnout and forum selection not having changed much since the last time I was here, that I forgot all about meeting up. Are you still planning on being here tomorrow?

I had seen everything that I cared to see (twice) by noon, so I would understand if you chose not to come back for a second day.

3. Feb 8, 2020 #23

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

I'll be there tomorrow from 8:30 to noon.....planning to attend the Corvair presentation and maybe something else. I need to ensure my students are running the West-MEC booth while I tour around again. I wasn't disappointed today but I would like to see a bigger turnout of homebuilts though. I was there from 9:45 till 4pm today riding herd over a group of our students.....

4. Feb 10, 2020 #24

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

I ran into a few students wearing shirts or jackets with your logo—well spoken, polite kids. They represent their school nicely.

5. Feb 10, 2020 #25

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

This was one of the nicest group of people I’ve seen at an air show in a while. My friend rode the yellow airbike in, getting the award for longest flight of any of the people flying in. ByDanJohnson.com did an article and video on him. We are waiting for winds to subside so we can continue home. I’m flying something in next year for sure, if health permits.

6. Feb 10, 2020 #26

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Me thinks that the show organizers be needin' to add some sizzle to their steak.

A STOL competition, some kind of pylon race or time trials, some kind of new eletric airplane race or technology prize, some kind of "Burning Man" aspect to it where they build a JunkyardWars airplane and fly it in two days, some kind of music concert, some kind of drag race between airplanes and hotrods, whatever.

There's too much opportunity there to squander. Plenty of snowbirds already in town, plenty of aviation enthusiasts who would leave their cold igloo elsewhere if they had an excuse to come out to where it's warm.

7. Feb 11, 2020 #27

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

I'd love to go but it's clear across the other side of the country and there's closer events with more going on. Hope there's something unique to recommend it other than "warm" so I can't make an excuse not to go.

8. Feb 11, 2020 #28

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

We were lucky in having great weather this year. Last year it was cold and gray skies on Saturday.

I appreciate all the good feedback that I've heard about our students and we had about 100 there.

There is no fee for attending and free parking......much better than past events. It's the vendors and exhibitors that pay for the booths etc.

I talked to the President of Copperstate, I've known him for over 30 years, and he was telling me about potentially having a drag race next year and a few other things to increase attendance.

This event is now located outside the 30 nautical mile veil and that more easily allows an actual air show and no requirement for ADSB-Out.

Burning Man???????..... I don't want to see a whole colony of naked old men wandering about.......

9. Feb 11, 2020 #29

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Have an acro competition then. Offer a $500 prize for the winner of basic, intermediate, and advanced. So you get three competitions, a free airshow of sorts, more airplanes on display, and your total cost is $1500. Far less than any established airshow act.

Put on a big aviation swap meet. Sellers of aircraft, projects, parts and tools can set up a table or a booth and sell their stuff. This will bring in visitors and participants who would not have gone to any other type of show. Tell the aviation world that you're creating the aviaiton equivalent of what happens at Quartzsite. The show makes revenue from selling booths and tables, and gets more people in the gate to buy hot dogs and sodas, and it drives up the total attendance which makes it more interesting to advertisers and sponsors. It pays for itself, unlike any other airshow attraction. And nobody else is doing this. Every airport bum and E-AB enthusiast has a hangar full of junk they's love to sell. Everybody else in aviation has some interest in bargain hunting for that rare set ofgold plated Clecos, or the flare launch tubes for an L-17 Navion. Actually, I can bring the Navion flare tubes myself :)

Also, if you can find a sponsor, I can put you in touch with an airshow pyrotechnics provider who is lower-cost and higher quality. He can work with the warbirds to do their bombing and strafing explosions, blow up a couplle of junk cars, even do a full night time re-enactment of a WW2 European night bombing raid that will keep the crowd there for dinner.

If the Copperstate organization wants to grow the show to its larger potential, there are many good ideas. I might even be able to find you a guy to write compelling proposals to potential sponsors and advertisers :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    delta likes this.
  10. Feb 11, 2020 #30

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

VB, "IF" you can convince the Feds it's not an airshow they will still want crowd control and ..... to fly the "contest" during. It's gotten almost impossible to prove your not advertising an airshow to have a contest anymore. You might get away with a practice day, but it would have to be heavily coordinated. Is there an aerobatic box on the field? That's another can o' worms to open if not. Trust me, we'd love to have our sport viewed by many more people than it currently is, but Big Brother don't want that.

11. Feb 11, 2020 #31

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Have a blackpowder shooting event the same day. The handguns, fowlers and rifles are cool but maybe a few cannons and mortars will show up to … Woot!

12. Feb 11, 2020 #32

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Sorry, I am not up to speed here. Was Copperstate attendance disappointing this year?

If you missed Copperstate you can still catch the AZ flying circus. It is more of a down home Chopper Girl type of gathering and does have the black powder event and burning man connection.

Coming soon. February 13 - 16. Highly recommend if you want to get down and dirty with flying and avoid the LA Oscar crowd.

http://www.arizonaflyingcircus.com/

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    delta and blane.c like this.
  13. Feb 14, 2020 at 8:15 PM #33

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

14. Feb 14, 2020 at 9:12 PM #34

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Did not go this year but a good buddy from Chandler did. He said the flying was good but he will not bring his personal airplane in again as long as parking is on gravel. He saw too many idiot pilots power out of parking, do a brake turn and pepper nearby aircraft. In fact, as he was leaving, a Cessna 180 pilot right next to him was strapped in and ready to go. My buddy rapped on the door and asked if he was intending to power out of the spot. "Yep", was the reply and then the suggestion from my buddy that maybe it would be better to push out, turn and crank up on the taxiway.

...you know, like responsible pilots.

Mcmark likes this.