• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts For Sale COOT Amphibian Plans

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bigshu

Hi,
Do these plans include full scale drawings of all the parts? I bought a set of Mini IMP plans a while back (same designer), and I find them all but unusable with everything hand drawn and not to scale, with cramped hand written calculations and instructions. If an average skilled person can figure them out and build a plane from them, I'd be interested. Why are these items available? Thanks!

collector

As far as I know, the Coot plans never had full sized drawings of any fittings, ribs or formers. All basically hand drawn and fit to legal sized paper. These pages are 8.5" x 14" with a few 18" x 24" sized blueprints. The build manual is also 8.5" x 14".

Last edited:

Bigshu

As far as I know, the Coot plans never had full sized drawings of any fittings, ribs or formers. All basically hand drawn and fit to legal sized paper. These pages are 8.5" x 14" with a few 18" x 24" sized blueprints. The build manual is also 8.5" x 14".
Thanks for the reply. It's too bad the plans are like that. I can't make head or tail of hand drawn small size plans. I guess I'm spoiled by modern designers.

Island_flyer

I bought the Osprey 2 plans from the designer a few years ago. I doubt I'll build one, but am keeping the plans for now. Most of the drawings are on 2' x 3' sheets, clearly drawn. Many fittings are shown full scale. The Osprey 2 came out just a few years later than the Coot; both designs are almost half a century old now (but the B-737 and King Air are even older, with continuous improvements in each). I'm curious if anyone has experience flying both the Coot and Osprey 2, to see how they compare in terms of ease of ingress and egress, handling characteristics, etc. I liked the idea of the Coot using the inboard portion of the wing as sponsons, eliminating the need for wingtip floats. The downside of that is being unable to use flaps for shorter takeoffs and landings from small lakes; the inboard trailing edge is already in the water. Neither design ever had flaps, as far as I'm aware. Apparently the Osprey 2 was far more popular, in terms of numbers built and flown.