• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Coordinated turns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filhere

I own a new to me STOL aircraft. It seems to have a tendency to turn right and skid left which I can’t quite figure out. Any insights welcome.

In slow flight with flaps out and high engine revs to maintain altitude, wings level and with the balance ball centred with some right rudder, it turns to the right.

Also, in a left hand circuit in the base to final left hand turn at slow but safe speed, it requires significant right rudder.

In both situations, it doesn’t feel in the seat of my pants like the aircraft is skidding left before I add right rudder.

In the slow flight, the fact that wings are level and the aircraft is turning right, makes me think the use of right rudder is causing a skid into a right hand turn.

In the left base to final left turn, when I add right rudder to centre the ball, it then feels in the seat of my pants like the aircraft is slipping to the left.

Could it be a faulty balance ball, faulty aircraft design or faulty pilot?

Any insights welcome! Thanks.

Back