• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cooling A 1/2 VW In Pusher Configuration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daleandee

I've often wondered if a true ultralight (or nearly so in weight) can use a 1/2 VW in a pusher configuration. I've always believed it would have enough power but the cooling, at least to me, would be difficult. Well ... here comes John Barry in a CGS Hawk with a great sounding 1/2 Vee Dub motor. Interestingly enough it doesn't appear that he has any special cooling set up that I can see (stop at 1:15 in the video):

In fact John has quite a few videos with him flying that little Hawk quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ljbarryiv/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I could send him an email and ask I guess but I know there is a lot of VW cooling wisdom on this list. So ... it appears he's making it work which makes me beg an answer to the question ... how difficult it is to cool about 40 HP of 1/2 VW engine on a slow pusher aircraft?

Curious minds want to know ...

Dale
N319WF

Last edited by a moderator:
Back