Coolest things at Oshkosh 2022?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BearHawk747

Steve and Jim Hays have retired from doing the antique engine stuff and quit coming to OSH. Age catching up is the last I heard. While many knew them from the Stone Age Ornithopter, they were also the folks who built and maintained a number of accurate recreations of the Wright 1903 engine and some later Wright engines as well. They were noted for starting one on a daily basis in the Antique area at OSH during the convention.
Ah, that's too bad. I wonder if he'd pass the ornithopter on to someone willing to continue it's showing at airventure.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
Last edited:

billyvray

Steve and Jim Hays have retired from doing the antique engine stuff and quit coming to OSH. Age catching up is the last I heard. While many knew them from the Stone Age Ornithopter, they were also the folks who built and maintained a number of accurate recreations of the Wright 1903 engine and some later Wright engines as well. They were noted for starting one on a daily basis in the Antique area at OSH during the convention.
I loved seeing those running demos. I also think they had an inertial starter on a stand, so you could just walk up and have at it. Amazing little device.

ScaleBirdsScott

One revelation I had being able to have a trailer with a minifridge on the field in our booth, was that Powerade makes freeze-pops, and we could keep them actively frozen in there and bust them out at any point during the day. That is one of the coolest things at the show, for me at least.

I grew up just down the road from their home/shop/business. Steve used to come and get horse manure from me for his big veggie garden. They invited me to come drill holes in a thick steel plate that they eventually turned into a Wright 1903 crankshaft. I learned a lot about proper drill press technique from that little exercise. Jim’s “ornithopter” started out as his “woodmobile,” something he fashioned out of a twisted old tree trunk that looked “too cool to cut up into stovewood.” He put the one-lunger engine on it, fashioned the wooden wheels and drove it in parades in Lake Geneva, WI for several years before bringing it up to Oshkosh to aleviate his boredom between runs of the 1903 engine with his Dad, Steve. The flapping “wings” were an add-on at the suggestion of several passers-by the first year. I hadn’t heard that Jim moved to Delavan. Steve passed away decades ago. I moved away...39 years ago, after college.

One revelation I had being able to have a trailer with a minifridge on the field in our booth, was that Powerade makes freeze-pops, and we could keep them actively frozen in there and bust them out at any point during the day. That is one of the coolest things at the show, for me at least.
Cooler than your P-36A?

jandetlefsen

Supporting Member
Only been watching from the distance via the internet but found the 3 Sling Highwings flying in all the way from South Africa pretty cool. Also that Scale Wings SW-51 70% P-51 Mustang looked pretty cool, surely not gonna be a cheap kit being carbon fibre but the level of details with all the mould rivets looked impressive on the YouTubes.

jandetlefsen

Supporting Member
Wow, I didn't know this about myself, but apparently I'm suddenly really tempted to add "anything with fake molded-in rivets" to the "airplane to make [me] mad" thread.
Lol this is a replica of a plane, 70% scale, with a Rotax engine, everything about it is as fake as it gets but a few dimples in the skin are too much for you eh?

addaon

Supporting Member
The thing is, it's a real plane. It happens to be based on a previous design aerodynamically, which makes it look cool; and it happens to not be based on it structurally, which is also a reasonable decision. The only thing that's fake is the rivets, the airplane is real!

But yeah, no part of this visceral reaction is reasonable. Hence the "make me mad" thread.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only been watching from the distance via the internet but found the 3 Sling Highwings flying in all the way from South Africa pretty cool. Also that Scale Wings SW-51 70% P-51 Mustang looked pretty cool, surely not gonna be a cheap kit being carbon fibre but the level of details with all the mould rivets looked impressive on the YouTubes.
That Mustang is impressive in person.

Hawk81A

I'd have to see a detail picture of said "fake rivets", but IIRC didn't the Mustang (and most other fighters) have flush rivets? It's been a while since I've been up close and personal with any Mustang or parts. Dennis

radfordc

No one is more fanatical about scale details that RC modelers. If you show up at a high level RC scale contest with a P-51 that doesn't have rivets represented you are not going to sit at the "cool kids" table.

BJC

Supporting Member
That Mustang is impressive in person.
Saw it at Sun n Fun; and agree that it is an impressive airframe, but it is plastic, and I would prefer no replication of rivet heads. Awaiting more experience with the FWF package before being impressed with the powerplant.
I'd have to see a detail picture of said "fake rivets", but IIRC didn't the Mustang (and most other fighters) have flush rivets?
You can see rivet heads on all-metal, flush rivets unless they were set deep, then filled and sanded smooth.

BTW, contrary to popular belief, the standard military P-51 did not achieve significant laminar flow.

BJC