Coolest things at Oshkosh 2022?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Dillpickle

Coolest things I saw at Osh? I was there for nine full 24 hour days, and the coolest things I saw were:
  • A Ray Scholar freshly minted as a Private Pilot talking first with me about engineering college and pilot training progress, then networking with a lead pilot for airborne forest fighting - networking and she sat right seat for the arrival;
  • A fifteen-year-old figuring out gas welding to the point of making a dozen beautiful cluster welds in 3/4-035 tubing;
  • Many pilots doing good landings in significant crosswinds;
  • Scale Birds' P-36 prototype with Eliot Seguin talking about how nice it flew;
  • Catherine Cavagnaro led forums. Need I say any more;
  • The above lead pilot taking classes in the Builder Education Center on gas welding, fabric covering, and aluminum. She bought an RV8 enpennage kit.

Then there were the noteworthy but only slightly cool things:
  • Another 100-130 hp turboprop engine that burns twice the fuel of a comparable recip;
  • A new 200 hp turboprop with a recuperator that is only supposed to burn a little more than a recip - details of the recuperator are secret, and they referred to the recuperator as "the magic". Engine is about same package size as 200 hp Lycoming. Very early yet;
  • Another entrant in the already crowded high wing utility and bush plane market. Want aluminum flying surfaces or fabric covered? Want fuselage of steel tube, partial steel tube/partial aluminum, or all aluminum? Big or LSA? They are all out there now, I hope that they are all long lived projects;
Then the seriously uncool:
  • Vendor reps ignorant of physics, materials, etc, and willing to disagree loudly with customers at a show while being wrong;
  • Loud tactical aircraft shutting down forums and classes and sales;
  • Backlogs on everything except promises.
Billski
Nice to have the people angle. Jealous of the 15 year old, lol

TurbAero

Supporting Member
"A new 200 hp turboprop with a recuperator that is only supposed to burn a little more than a recip - details of the recuperator are secret, and they referred to the recuperator as "the magic". Engine is about same package size as 200 hp Lycoming. Very early yet;"

Is this Turbaero still?
Yes, after 4.5 years we are still at it. We are finally making parts now so are making the transition from design to prototyping. Getting custom components made with a short lead time is challenging in todays environment, but we are making steady and tangible progress to getting everything together to assemble the prototype engine. To manage expectations, it will not be ready to run this year, but shouldn’t be too far into next year.

The encouragement we got from visitors to our booth at Oshkosh was extremely gratifying. They understood our age and stage, and recognise that what we are doing is both a complex and major undertaking that still has a way to go. Thanks to all who dropped into our booth to check it out and talk with our team.

addaon

Supporting Member
They understood our age and stage, and recognise that what we are doing is both a complex and major undertaking that still has a way to go.

Absolutely! I have your business card on my board, and am subscribed to your mailing list. Glad to write you a check whenever you can promise delivery in < 6 months, and totally recognize that that's still a ways off.

BearHawk747

I took my 12 year old son to Oshkosh for his first time this year - so that was pretty cool! I haven't been there myself since 2010 ish. I used to go every year with my dad while growing up and always liked saying hi to the crazy guy with the hit n miss powered ornithopter.

Anyone know if he's still doing it? I was hoping my son could see it in person.

Last edited:
I took my 12 year old son to Oshkosh for his first time this year - so that was pretty cool! I haven't been there myself since 2010 ish. I used to go every year with my dad while growing up and always liked saying hi to the crazy guy with the hit n miss powered ornithopter.

I was wondering the same. I haven't seen them since around 2018 or 2019. It's hard to describe to people what it is. You really have to see it. (Presuming you're talking about the steam-engine powered cart with the lady standing on top waving)

BearHawk747

I was wondering the same. I haven't seen them since around 2018 or 2019. It's hard to describe to people what it is. You really have to see it. (Presuming you're talking about the steam-engine powered cart with the lady standing on top waving)

It's been awhile - but last time I saw it, it was powered by a gasoline hit n miss engine. But yes, the "Wing Walker" lady was on it last time I saw it too. But, that was a later addition.

ScaleBirdsScott

I also asked how the V-twin might accommodate aircraft like top-mounted LSAs (Quicksilver in my case) since the redrive is positioned at 12:00. He gave me some ridiculously simple and elegant suggestions how one might accomplish way to clock the redrive at 6:00 (or wherever it's needed).

I talked with them and when I brought up wishing they had a 150hp V4 the one fellow suggested we could probably bolt two together with a coupling. I don't know what to make of that other than I'd rather a more integrated setup. But it is a promising FWF package.

Last edited:

Hawk81A

I talked with them and when I brought up wishing they had a 150hp V4 the one fellow suggested we could probably bolt two together with a coupling. I don't know what to make of that other than I'd rather a more integrated setup. But it is a promising FWF package.
Wasn't there. What is "V-twin"? Is this the Generac? Big Block Briggs? Something different? Funny, I had the thought of coupling a pair of V-twins (Vanguards) sometime back. Wondering how you'd clock the cranks, but I figure I'd look at an old Wisconsin V-4 crank and see how it was set up. Dennis
Edit: figured it out

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
... and always liked saying hi to the crazy guy with the hit n miss powered ornithopter.

Steve and Jim Hays have retired from doing the antique engine stuff and quit coming to OSH. Age catching up is the last I heard. While many knew them from the Stone Age Ornithopter, they were also the folks who built and maintained a number of accurate recreations of the Wright 1903 engine and some later Wright engines as well. They were noted for starting one on a daily basis in the Antique area at OSH during the convention.

mikoman

Supporting Member
Hadn't done gas welding in over 35 years. have a Henrod? unit sitting around somewhere . Am ok on Mig and the plasma cutter and just took an introductory course on Tig welding in Vegas and will be purchasing a unit soon. Hope I get as good as that kid soon LOL