Coolest things at Oshkosh 2022?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bigshu

Supporting Member
For those of you that went, what stood out?
I couldn't get near the RV15 for a close look. There were lots of interesting new things from vendors. That Heron small turbine is amazing, even though I'll never hang one off an airframe. The guys at the Opener booth were very pumped about where the Blackfly program is. I didn't get to see it fly at the UL field on Tuesday evening, but I wanted to. I liked the quirkier small stuff like the Archon, and the RTF V-twin at the Hummel booth. I also was impressed with the Runmat? display. That will really be useful at small fields for everything from the runway itself, to the inside of dirt floor hangars.

BJC

Supporting Member
The guy I talked to said similar to an SUV. When I tried to qualify how big an SUV, he just kind of gritted his teeth. My guess would be north of 50K, but we'll see.
The dollar figures in my linked post came from the Opener employee only after I backed him into a corner to quantify what he meant by “similar to an SUV.”

BJC

Bigshu

Supporting Member
I checked to make sure Runmat was the right name. It is, and their website is very interesting. I've been to a few small private strips that could use the stuff for aprons, car parking and even in the hangars. They're getting to keep their installation at Wittman up over the winter to see how frost heave effects it (they're from down south, so they haven't got a lot of expertise with freeze cycles...)

Dillpickle

I couldn't get near the RV15 for a close look. There were lots of interesting new things from vendors. That Heron small turbine is amazing, even though I'll never hang one off an airframe. The guys at the Opener booth were very pumped about where the Blackfly program is. I didn't get to see it fly at the UL field on Tuesday evening, but I wanted to. I liked the quirkier small stuff like the Archon, and the RTF V-twin at the Hummel booth. I also was impressed with the Runmat? display. That will really be useful at small fields for everything from the runway itself, to the inside of dirt floor hangars.
Hadn't heard of the runmat. Gonna have to look that up!

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
No, a freeze cycle is when you open the freezer, take out the pizza with one hand and throw in the beer with the other hand, so the freezer door is open for the shortest time possible.

If the cycle is done correctly, by the time the pizza is cooked, the beer has reached the correct temperature.

You take the beer out of the freezer and the pizza out of the oven, and then sit and talk about flying, airplanes, etc..

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
So how much does the RunMat cost?

If you had a 1500 x 50 foot private desert airstrip, or a 36x24 dirt floor hangar, or a 1/3 mile long private driveway, etc etc.?

Their website says " a fraction of the cost"... I love that kind of BS because Pi is also a fraction, so is it possible the RunMat might cost 22/7 of asphalt???

Appowner

Just looked up RunMat. Might be the perfect solution to model airplane runways as well!
No good for RC. It has big holes in it through which grass will grow making it just as rough as just grass. Also the small model wheels won't care for it either.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coolest things I saw at Osh? I was there for nine full 24 hour days, and the coolest things I saw were:
  • A Ray Scholar freshly minted as a Private Pilot talking first with me about engineering college and pilot training progress, then networking with a lead pilot for airborne forest fighting - networking and she sat right seat for the arrival;
  • A fifteen-year-old figuring out gas welding to the point of making a dozen beautiful cluster welds in 3/4-035 tubing;
  • Many pilots doing good landings in significant crosswinds;
  • Scale Birds' P-36 prototype with Eliot Seguin talking about how nice it flew;
  • Catherine Cavagnaro led forums. Need I say any more;
  • The above lead pilot taking classes in the Builder Education Center on gas welding, fabric covering, and aluminum. She bought an RV8 enpennage kit.

Then there were the noteworthy but only slightly cool things:
  • Another 100-130 hp turboprop engine that burns twice the fuel of a comparable recip;
  • A new 200 hp turboprop with a recuperator that is only supposed to burn a little more than a recip - details of the recuperator are secret, and they referred to the recuperator as "the magic". Engine is about same package size as 200 hp Lycoming. Very early yet;
  • Another entrant in the already crowded high wing utility and bush plane market. Want aluminum flying surfaces or fabric covered? Want fuselage of steel tube, partial steel tube/partial aluminum, or all aluminum? Big or LSA? They are all out there now, I hope that they are all long lived projects;
Then the seriously uncool:
  • Vendor reps ignorant of physics, materials, etc, and willing to disagree loudly with customers at a show while being wrong;
  • Loud tactical aircraft shutting down forums and classes and sales;
  • Backlogs on everything except promises.
Billski

addaon

Supporting Member
"A new 200 hp turboprop with a recuperator that is only supposed to burn a little more than a recip - details of the recuperator are secret, and they referred to the recuperator as "the magic". Engine is about same package size as 200 hp Lycoming. Very early yet;"

Is this Turbaero still?

While I didn't dive too much into the hidden mechanism of a lot of things, I did enjoy talking to the Aeromarine rep. He told me about the V-twin they're offering now and the aircraft it was designed to go on (Merlin). Neat tech in that Merlin LSA including:
  • Auto fuel switching
    • Electronically (with a switch) select left, right, both
    • With a switch, you can select 10-minute or 10-gallon tanks changes if not flying on both
  • Automatic differential braking
    • One brake handle
    • When pushing rudder left or right, switches on the nose gear with close a valve that brakes left or right as appropriate for the turn
  • Overall niftiness factor
I also asked how the V-twin might accommodate aircraft like top-mounted LSAs (Quicksilver in my case) since the redrive is positioned at 12:00. He gave me some ridiculously simple and elegant suggestions how one might accomplish way to clock the redrive at 6:00 (or wherever it's needed). Our discussion ended something like this: "Once you have the redrive where you think you want it, send the design to a college engineering student and say, 'stress it'. And when they ask what it's for, tell him, 'don't worry about it, just stress it'." :)

Other than that, the Messerschmitt 109 rebuild of the rig they pulled out of the swamp was pretty danged impressive! That and I'd never seen a Lysander in person before. That was a treat. And, of course, L-bird drooling was going on a lot.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
"A new 200 hp turboprop with a recuperator that is only supposed to burn a little more than a recip - details of the recuperator are secret, and they referred to the recuperator as "the magic". Engine is about same package size as 200 hp Lycoming. Very early yet;"

Is this Turbaero still?
Yes.