• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Coolant for 582 Rotax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
I am a 1/2 owner of a Kitfox II that has a 582 Rotax. I don't remember the source of info, but I felt confident we were OK when we used Prestone "green" antifreeze after we bought the neglected plane and had the engine rebuilt. We did that along with a lot of other checking and maintenance, about a year ago and have had no problems. In the last few days someone told my partner on the plane that we should change to the "orange" anti-freeze instead of the "green". The antifreeze we used did say it was silica free and I thought that was the go, no-go criteria that was most important. I have been told that the colors are not at all compatible, so if we do change to the other color it would require a very thorough flushing to avoid problems. My partner was told that there would be shaft damage if we didn't change, but I thought I had read that was dependent on the presence of silica.

Certainly I can check with the company in MS who rebuilt our engine, but I just talked with my partner and I'd like to see if anyone here can offer correct advice before I will have an opportunity to make a call to the rebuilder.

Thanks, in advance!

Lynn

Back