Cool New Canard Designs

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

canardlover

Jeff, is the Orion permanently shelved?
Not necessarily. The future still holds possibilities. Right now I have to complete my Voodoo/Stryker/Talon program,fly prototype in not too distant future, complete test phase investigations/ validations ,and ramp up production to meet already serious indicated demand. Project,like so many, os being throttled by limited available funding. After that I will be starting up development of two two seat Voodoo derivatives( tandem and side by side seating) that are already in advanced design phase now. Then I have two 4 seat options ,one being an Orion rebirth,another a very cool 4 seat composite Seaplane ( flying boat style Amphibian) that makes the Icon pale in comparison. A couple pics of the Voodoo jet project, single and twin turbine,as well as prop versions.

Attachments

canardlover

And a more recent one. At time of video Andrey posted,intention was to go up against Icon with an LSA compliant offering. But wing and cabin is sized large enough to support 4 place config if flaps are incorporated to mitigate landing speed at higher wing loading. Span is 34 feet,approximately same footprint as 172 Cessna.

Attachments

anvegger

HBA Supporter
At time of video Andrey posted,intention was to go up against Icon with an LSA compliant offering. But wing and cabin is sized large enough to support 4 place config if flaps are incorporated to mitigate landing speed at higher wing loading.
I spoke with Progressive Aerodyne Folks a few months back and got the feeling that anyone who might be able to replace Lake Aircraft in Composite Format will get the best market ever. Two sitters are the toy plane and market is driven by ICON at al SeaRey is catching the ball of all clients who left ICON . But the real deal is the 4 + Single Engine Amphibian Like Lake Aircraft

TFF

My comment was on the Raptor being pressurized and one of the possible factors for it being heavier than needed, or not understood.

TarDevil

I spoke with Progressive Aerodyne Folks a few months back and got the feeling that anyone who might be able to replace Lake Aircraft in Composite Format will get the best market ever.
Best market wouldn't include an amphibian. Here's what AvWeb said about amphibs (in an article about the Lake) in 2013...

"The bad news for amphibian airplane owners and pilots is that, no matter how cleverly you design it, putting a boat hull on an airplane does not make for efficient aerodynamics. You also wind up with a complex airplane that has all the costs of maintaining a retractable landing gear and constant speed prop, plus the expenses of keeping a boat alive and well. There are those who assert that you should combine those costs and then square the sum to get an accurate number for owning an amphibian. Oh yes, and you get to own an airplane that can sink."

Lake Aircraft began in, what, 1959? And they built a little over a thousand airplanes?

The problem with multi purpose machines, especially airplanes, is they excel at nothing.

The history of aviation doesn't support the notion that a four place amphibian constitutes the "best market ever." Niche markets, yes. But you sure better have the better mousetrap.