• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Converting slugs per cubic foot to more tractable units for computing dynamic pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroER

In post four of mcrae0104's project thread -

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/mcrae0104-project.28826/
I noticed an error involving units to use for converting air density; it ought to be edited, but I don't know if that is possible now.

"(I promise that if you substitute ft/sec2/ft3 as the units for ρ, the resulting units of q will be lb/ft2)"

Don't do that. This explains the conversion of slugs/ft^3 density to lbf sec^2/ft^4 density for ease in calculating dynamic pressure. (This form is also used extensively in thermodynamics and heat transfer.)
density from slugs.jpg

Now simply calculate dynamic pressure in lbf/ft^2 directly without head scratching.

Maybe mcrae0104 has figured this out since his post in 2017, I don't know. He's far from the first to be confused.

Back