Converting Sail Cloth a/c to standard fabric covering?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

I painted my plane in silver Polytone to save weight. Some polyspray and the rest polytone. More silver, fewer overall coats. Can always sand it a little and paint it another color easily.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Then there is the add in issue of how much is your time worth? Lessee $3000 vs say $2000 for materials and tools + a bunch of your spare time + the chance that it will fail. Hmmm. I would likely just buy the known good set of new covers, then go fly with confidence.

Billski

AdrianS

I'd be tempted to look at reproducing the original covers.
Try making samples out of some cheap fabric first.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
My advice is to stay with the original design by using sails....the aircraft is designed for them.
You will gain nothing by trying to change covering methods other than sleepless nights,an empty bank account and a plane that is not airworthy.
Bite the bullet and call Sandy or Brett and spend the money on new sails.

I could have changed covering methods but it just wasn't worth the hassle of redesigning everything or the money it would have taken...so I sewed up my own sails with the help of a friend that made sails for a living.
I think they turned out quite nice....

IMG_0018.JPG

Kevin

Howe

Stick with the original Dacron covering.Your costing analysis has a lot of holes in it. Just the painting will be a PIA and a lot of work and wont look as good.As others have mentioned, resale will be a issue.

Attachments