• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Control surface substitution.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fulcona

In making a control surface (rudder,aileron etc.) could it be possible to replace the .032 Aluminum spar with one made of fiberglass? The reason I ask is that I no longer have access to the bending brake that I used years ago when I first made these pieces. A while back I discovered that my rudder had a slight twist to it that couldn’t be corrected. I made another one in composite but it turned out way too heavy. So I’m going back to the original style, (RV type). I was thinking of making the spar and skin stiffeners (anything that needs to be bent) in fiberglass because it would be easy to do and then rivet the skins to them. When riveting the aluminum skins to the fiberglass piecesI would back up the backside with a thin aluminum strip or aluminum washers. Think it would work?

Back