Control cable lenght

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

amv8vol

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but how do I figure out the exact length of my control cables. Specifically if I am going to have Aircraft Spruce fabricate the cables with swagged ends? Should I do a mock up with spare cable and try and calculate the lenght of the fittings or is there some easy way I just haven't figured?
Thanks
David N

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Mocking up with a piece of cable is always a good start. Word of caution... you can always adjust a fitting or insert a link if you are too short, but it is difficult to compensate for a cable that is too long.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doing a mockup is always a good idea as bmcj suggested, but you don't have to "try and calculate the lenght of the fittings"; you give the cable maker the length of the cable assembly including the fittings, e.g. the length between the holes in the fittings. Of course there needs to be some adjustability in the final assembly, whether a turnbuckle or whatever.

Dana

ekimneirbo

Banned
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but how do I figure out the exact length of my control cables. Specifically if I am going to have Aircraft Spruce fabricate the cables with swagged ends? Should I do a mock up with spare cable and try and calculate the lenght of the fittings or is there some easy way I just haven't figured?
Thanks
David N
If it were me, I would get some cheap cable and route it thru the path it will travel. Get some cheap cable ends that you can tap a hole in (may have to weld a nut on) and use a set screw to secure the cable.then you can verify that the cable path does work properly and eliminate any guesswork. I would rather have a cable too long than too short, as it can be cut off and a new end swedged on it. Get on Ebay and type in
Galvanized Aircraft Wire and search. There are a bunch of sources selling 100 ft of it for under $20.... and there are some cable clamps for a couple dollars to adjust lengths for mocking up.

Last edited: