• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Continental/Honda Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain_John

I didn't know where to put this, as it could possibly go into Cutting Edge Technologies, Firewall Forward or even Auto Engines as it is part Honda. I figured I would put it here for maximum visibility.

Have you seen the Continental/Honda partnership? It has been on the EAA, AOPA and AVWEB (www.avweb.com) sites all week! I am interested in watching this one evolve!

The AVWEB site reports:

On Monday, Teledyne Continental Motors (TCM) and Honda Motor Co. announced they will join forces to study the feasibility of producing a next-generation piston aircraft engine for the GA market. Honda says it has developed a prototype piston engine with "the technical potential for being significantly advanced over currently available engines in terms of weight, fuel efficiency, power output and emissions." The water-cooled, four-cylinder engine is designed to run on unleaded auto gas, Honda spokesman Jeffrey Smith told AVweb yesterday. "The engine is undergoing bench-testing now," he said, "and will have its first test flight soon." The aircraft it will fly in is yet to be determined, Smith said. The TCM/Honda joint study will "evaluate potential business opportunities for both parties to work together toward marketing, servicing, manufacturing and identifying potential product launch customers for the engine." The announcement follows approximately two years of testing of the prototype Honda-designed piston aviation engine at TCM's facility in Mobile, Ala. Of course, TCM is no stranger to aircraft engines, as it has offered new, and re-manufactured engines, ignition systems and spare parts for the GA industry for many years. Honda is the world's largest engine manufacturer, Smith said.

:) CJ

p.s. Have you seen AVWEB before? Veeery useful!

Back