• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Continental A80-8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratterrier

Hi, So I picked up a small Continental that I am wanting to power my small biplane. I had thought I bought an A65, But found after pulling a cylinder discovered it was newly converted to an A80 with .015 over pistons. Now I am posed with the conundrum of what to do with it. The pistons rods and exhaust valves are new never ran. From what I understand the a80's had issues with heat dissipation and putting stress on the case. If I set this up and ran it as a A65 2300 RPM 2150 and proped it acordingly The compression would still be higher (6.3 for the A65) and 7.55 for the A80 pistons. Could I get better longevity and reliability?
The other thing I am up against is finding Mags I've been looking for a Bendix S4RN-21 seem to be scarcer then hens teeth If anyone has a core they'd part with..... Tkanks

Back