CONTACT! Magazine / Pat Panzera

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

Please join me in prayers and good thoughts for Pat Panzera at CONTACT! Magazine.

Pat is a US Navy veteran and is suffering from one or more very serious service-related health conditions. Pat was one of "The Ramp Rats", the glider operation "line boys" and "just always there" crews at the famous El Mirage gliderport back in its glory days. My understanding is that Pat had been exposed to some dangerous levels of radiation working on submarine reactors, and this likely caused the health conditions he is now facing.

Pat is a very enthusiastic supporter of homebuilt airplanes and E-AB engines, auto conversions, alternate powerplants, etc. Super nice guy, and deserves our best wishes and even a prayer or two.

bmcj

Pat has been fighting this cancer for awhile (over a year, I think) and going through repeated sessions of chemo.

I understand the long term effects of radiation exposure. I lost another friend a number of years ago to brain cancer. He was also in the Navy when he was younger and his job was working with nuclear munitions. Fast forward twenty years or so and he developed cancerous tumors in his brain. Doctors treated them successfully leaving him cancer-free, but new ones soon developed. They cured those, but new ones kept spontaneously generating, and that eventually killed him.

I’m not trying to change the subject. I know Pat is (bravely) fighting this battle and I hate that he has to go through that. I only mentioned my other friend because it helps validate Pat’s suspicion of a similar cause.

Last edited:

n45bm

Wishes for a speedy recovery, if the Good Lord permits it. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

cluttonfred

I have emailed with Pat a few times over the years going back to the early days of the Clutton FRED site in 2010. He was always professional and helpful, fingers crossed that he wins this round and stays with us years more.

mikoman

I did not know him or get the chance to meet him but hope he can survive this. Way back at Sun N fun in 1991 I met his predecessor Mick Myal and singed up for the new Contact magazine. Was it that long ago over 30 years.Have issue #1 with a note by him also another copy of that issue signed and sent by lou Ross of Ross Aero whose redrive was reported on in that issue. I always wondered why the issues stopped. Hope someone takes over the writing/editing of the magazine.

karmarepair

Pat flew West this morning. From William Wynne:
Pat’s son Antonio called me to say that his father had passed about an hour ago, at home, surrounded with his family.
The sun will set shortly in Hanford California, and this day, Pats last on earth, will end. The sun will rise tomorrow, and for Pat’s son and grandsons, it will be the first day in a world that have never known; a world without the family patriarch, ever concerned with their lives and spirits. They will go forward provisioned with all that he taught them, mostly by example.
Let each of us who knew and treasured the friendship of Pat, personally vow that we will repay Pats camaraderie to us by providing our guidance and assistance to them, as we know Pat would have done for our loved ones, if any of us had been taken away way too soon.
Goodbye my friend. You have my eternal admiration for how you manfully conducted yourself through the hardest times fate dealt you. It was a stirring example of human toughness, and right now I wish I could tell you that, just one more time.

Thanks Karmarepair...Pat and I go way back. He was/is to alternate aircraft engines what Steve Irwin was/is to wildlife conservation. His passion and energy was almost overwhelming, you just couldn’t help but like the guy. The alternate powerplant conferences, CONTACT!, all those insightful, informative, inspiring interviews: they all pushed a lot of the current auto conversion folks to go for it and develop their engine installations for our benefit. Thank you, Pat, you’ve earned this rest many times over.

Bill-Higdon

Ryan, thank you very much for the update, sad to hear of Pat's passing, I hope Ryan doesn't mind me doing a copy and paste of his post here to the Drangonfly group on groups.io. I have lost several friends to Pancreatic Cancer.

Last edited:

Mark Z

I met Pat several times at Oshkosh. The very thing that sticks in my mind is when I was attending a dinner at the EAA museum. Pat and Ralph Maloof spoke to us briefly in passing. The friendship between those two guys was nothing less than a father & son relationship in the best way imaginable.

KenAdams

Can’t believe that Pat is gone, I met him many years ago at Sun & Fun and signed up for his magazine. Wr list a great one!