Cont 90hp ground power unit

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by ScottRosenboom, May 13, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 13, 2019 #1

ScottRosenboom

ScottRosenboom

ScottRosenboom

I am building an Acey Duecy , its a parasol design , wood wing & tube fuselage . I have a cont 90 ground power unit I intend to use . The biggest challenge is the intake , my cylinders breath from the top instead of up from below . I just want an up draft carb not fuel injection . I can not find a picture anywhere on the internet to give me a leg up on this intake design . Really don't want to reinvent here & I'm shure I'm not the first to do this. Thanks for any help.

2. May 13, 2019 #2

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

The factory Lancair's had Continentals with intake tubes on the top. If you go to their website there should be pictures. Or imagine an upside down Lycoming.

3. May 13, 2019 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

Really just a small box that the intake runners run into then carb. I wonder if you could use the regular Continental spider , just on the top side? Maybe a big side draft carb? What did the gpu carb look like. I only really know about the Lycoming G engines as I have one.

4. May 13, 2019 #4

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

The PE-90 is basically2/3 of a I0-470, if you can find 4 cylinders & pistons from a carburated 0-470 you could put those on & design a intake system for it. The Airboat people are putting cylinders & pistons off the 0-520 series for a hop up. This makes it very similar to the Cont 0-346/I0-346. Some where I have the manuals for the beasts

5. May 21, 2019 #5

ScottRosenboom

ScottRosenboom

ScottRosenboom

We'll fellas looks like this project is dead in the water . Went to the machine shop today , I was having them drill for a second spark plug & they found the cylinder is only a 1/4" thick . No way enough metal to hold a spark plug. So I think best to look at another engine . There is one on Barnstormers , looks pretty good but it has a re ground crank that has not been nitrided , Anyone have any input on this . Seller says all 85 cranks are not nitrided ??

6. May 21, 2019 #6

TFF

TFF

TFF

One, you can have it nitrided. Lycoming gpu engines were not nitrided as a cost savings. So the bearings wear a little faster under load; is that going to matter? If you are trying to get 3000 hours out of it, sure. 500-1000 probably not. All depends on price point.