Consensus on Lightest FAR 103 Wing Design

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by WhiskeyHammer, Apr 22, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 24, 2019 #21

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

The Gossamer Condor was a bowsprit Rogallo stretched to it's limit. Plus a canard.

wire bracing worked since the top speed was so low, and weight to wing area was king.

Struts can reduce drag, but add weight. Wires with a kingpost can be stronger than struts, since the strut isn't as good in compression.

At a certain weight, cantilever is best. Where exactly? I dunno.

2. Apr 24, 2019 #22

E28POWERM20

E28POWERM20

E28POWERM20

What about the Bloop? 204lbs EW including parachute.

3. May 20, 2019 #23

RCBinChicken

RCBinChicken

RCBinChicken

I was hoping someone in the thread would mention the Bloop! Love that plane. I doubt I'd have ever considered embarking on the "self-designed homebuilt" path without it. :D

For anyone not familiar with the Bloop, here's Mike Sandlin's site for it: http://m-sandlin.info/bloop/bloop.htm

4. Jun 9, 2019 #24

Gregory Perkins

Gregory Perkins

Gregory Perkins

I would not say there was ever a consensus but here are some of the best all time performers exhibiting the best engineering........

Probably wood based cantilever wings are the best proven wing designs that can be built by a semi
    talented craftsman. examples.... SkyPup 220 pounds, Volmer Jensen VJ-23 105 pounds, Birdman TL-1A 135 pounds,
    Mitchell Wing FAA legal but not sure of the weight, Wanderer, Invader, ULF glider 105 pounds. The problem is hours to construct. The VJ-23 took approx 600 hours to build and the root attachment at the fuselage was 16 inches deep. yes, the spar was sixteen inches top to bottom.

The highest performing designs are indeed composite (Carbon fiber) but beyond the normal backyard tinkerers ability.
    The best examples are moulded carbon such as the tandem hangglider wings used by the ATOS with span around 45 feet, ZJ Vierra, CloudDancer, Diehl XTC, GoldWing, Solar Challenger by McReady, Catto CA-15, FLAC by Striplin,
    Lotus Rutan Grizzley 103

The Vampire and Ultracruiser are excellent alum skin cantilever designs.... again not cheap and probably
    more difficult than ordinary mortals can build but the Ultracruiser can be built from plans.

The Eclipse was an aluminum tube cantilever design that had amazing performance while weighing
    only 185 pounds if I remember correctly and flew lights out on 15 hp.

Dont get me wrong, there were some highly engineered strut based designs but none that immediately
    come to mind that were real performers in terms of strength to weight and aerodynamics

And dont forget all the super strong aerobatic ULs however were wire braced alum tube with one exception.

5. Jun 12, 2019 #25

PiperCruisin

PiperCruisin

PiperCruisin

Doesn't get much lighter than a speedwing with a backpack paramotor or maybe a Woopy Jump....probably not what you are looking for.

6. Jun 13, 2019 #26

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I never weighed the wings, but the wing of the DS Nomad or Honcho we’re very light, and incredibly rigid for their weight.

(DS stands for Delta Sailplanes if you try to google it, but I resisted spelling out “sailplane” because the Nomad and Honcho ultralights were not sailplanes.)

7. Jun 13, 2019 #27

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Wasn’t there a human-powered airplane that had an inflatable airframe filled with helium? Can’t have a wing much lighter than one which can float away