Conditional A/W cert

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rsrguy3

Picked up a plane ... it's over 20 years old. It has the issued A/W cert with the normal 50 mile radius limitation.....in Virginia. I have the plane almost complete here in UT... how hard is it to get the location swapped?

D Hillberg

Airworthiness Certificate has no mile limitation [usa]
The sheet of Limitations and instructions for phase one testing should have test areas.
What are the hours and does the log book have any signoffs in it?

Marc W

I changed the test area for an E/AB with the Salt Lake City FSDO 5 years ago or so. They were very helpful and it was a simple process done by phone and email.

You also need to change the registration if you haven't done.

rsrguy3

Only 4 hours on the logs ... no sign offs. I need a local test area in order to color inside the lines

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
If your fsdo is decent, it's painless. Call, give them the a/c info, and explain that you need a new aw cert with a local test area. They should make you an appointment to bring the old aw and exchange it for the new one. Done.

TFF

I think it’s the FSDO that needs to change the flight test area. The DAR can do initial assignment, but I think it’s government from then on.

Jim Chuk

I had to change the phase 1 area of operations on one of my Avid Flyers when I first got it. Had only about 25 hrs flown off of the 40 required. The DAR inspection had been done in 1991, and the rules regarding major changes and such back then were a bit more stringent. An FAA employee from the nearest FSDO had to actually look at the plane. He then issued new operating limitations in accord with the newer rules. Really wasn't much of an inspection, more of a formality. Seemed that he was more concerned with the limit labels on the instruments and paperwork than anything mechanical. All in all, not that difficult. Just a wait from him to be able to schedule a time to come and do the inspection. Check your operating limitations sheets and see how they address major changes. There was no cost involved in the inspection. JImChuk

rsrguy3

Ya, we just dealt with a lost aw cert on a different ship.... 6 month hell slog.. the fsdo here are not helpful. But hey they did there job as they weren't happy till we weren't....

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Airworthiness Certificate has no mile limitation [usa]
The sheet of Limitations and instructions for phase one testing should have test areas.
What are the hours and does the log book have any signoffs in it?
The operating limitations are considered part of the airworthiness certificate.

I've had my op lims updated twice, to ease the old style restrictions and get a new test area. In both cases it was painless. Call the FSDO and explain what you want. In both cases there were several emails back and forth, they emailed me an advance copy of the limitations to check (the first time they made a mistake), them they scheduled a visit to my home field to exchange the paperwork. The first time they didn't look at the plane, the second time they did, but just because they were curious, I think.