• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Conceptual Design of a Three-surface, Composite Four-seater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WK95

An Introduction
Yes, yes I know. I haven't even finished my other conceptual design project and I'm already starting another one. Well truth is, I've decided to stop working on it. Why? It's just wasn't very practical or useful. From the beginning, I had just wanted a cool airplane, my dream airplane. But I eventually reached a stalling point (obligatory aviation pun intended). I simply couldn't figure out a realistic use for it in practical consideration. Maybe it would have worked as a fun, recreational aircraft but it wasn't useful at all to me. That just didn't jive with me so back to the drawing board.

So I've decided to go a new route. Now I want to design something that is practical and would make people think "Gee, I want to get me one of those". My new design goals for this project is for an aircraft that is useful, comfortable, aesthetically appealing and safe while also being affordable as a kit.

Useful - Flexible interior with ample space for baggage and four passengers. Ample baggage space means space for enough baggage for one week trips for four persons.
Comfortable - No cramped shoulders or stiff necks in my plane. And certainly not something that seems likely to induce claustrophobia. Think big, spacious windows. Coupled with the first requirement, this requires the efficient use of space.
Aesthetically Appealing - Aesthetically, planes usually go two routes. The sexy route or the rugged route. For my design, think curvy. But when you think of curves, composites immediately come into the picture. I don't remember where but I recall reading that a aerodynamic design is usually visually appealing since it looks natural.
Safe - Stall and spin resistance, low stall speeds, great visibility. My design will aim to fulfill those needs and a three-surface configuration looks to be a nice way to achieve that. More on this later.
Efficient - Fuel is expensive. So too is weight. I want my aircraft to squeeze out fantastic range while sipping as little fuel as possible. Less fuel also means less weight. Composites will certainly help me make an aerodynamically efficient aircraft if done right.

Compared to my previous incomplete design, this one just makes a lot more sense to me. Then again, I've also learned a lot more since I started the last project. So now that I have a clear idea of what I want my plane to do, I'll get started with the design work.

Last edited:
Back