Concepts only: Doodles without numbers

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

J.L. Frusha

I always loved Low Aspect Ratio designs. This was my thought about a easy storable light airplane.
Been piddling with the Little Bird and the XF5U lines. If you match the span, then stretch the Little Bird to 160% the outlines are nearly identical, except for the cockpit, ailerons, rudders, props and cowlings of the XF5U.

1641551860980.png

... and an attempt at a ducted fan mashup that might fly well...

1641577375986.png

rtfm

Hi bhooper360:
I've drawn a few sketches of your fuselage - and I can't make it work. How long would you envision the fuselage being? To give the pilot sufficient hip/shoulder room, and to keep the straight sides ends up with either a very long fuselage, or a super-wide firewall.

J.L. Frusha

@rotax618

Why not a Lifting Body Ducted Fan...?

Granted, it was an RC design, but by the same engineers that designed for Martin, which NASA started their journey into lifting bodies with...

1641606838770.png

cluttonfred

Hi,
You mean a sit-IN Fleabike fuselage? Why not? Being able to sit inside the fuselage gets away from having the seat area cut away.
You might take a look at a Mignet-style fuselage with the longeron going from the top of the firewall to the bottom of the tail. Here is the HM.360 as an example:
A878F10A-0695-471F-9CD2-2C5DBCBA0665.jpeg
I think that could be simplified even further making the seat back one continuous bulkhead and eliminating the bottom middle longeron to create a flat-bottomed fuselage.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
It's based on a crotch rocket. WYSIWYG,
"WYSIWYG" = Translate.

"It's based on a crotch rocket." I see that and it looks cool. Just for the art I would like to see what it looks like where it looks less like a bike and more like the P-51 BBT (Big Boy Toy). It looks to me like a not too "Big Boy" would still fit with his bent legs in the radiator area.

Like I said elsewhere, "Once a crotch rocket is going 85 it should be flying." It looks like that has possabilities even if just in the imagination.

It's OK if the wheels need to stick out the bottom a bit. We will just ignore them.

J.L. Frusha

"WYSIWYG" = Translate.
What You See Is What You Get - a VERY common acronym...

If I liked Cruisers, it might be more to your liking. My bird, my way... (shrugs)

I would like to see what it looks like where it looks less like a bike and more like the P-51 BBT

All I've changed, stylistically is the canopy and cockpit..., from a possible 1-off P-51 B/C (Mark III) with Malcolm Hood/Canopy.

1641644886607.png

If I can do all of my work in MS Paint, surely you can do what you think you want... JS

J.L. Frusha

Cub inspired 'Air Bike'...
I got thinking about really light stuff again.
Been tinkering with the P-51 crotch-rocket idea and am finding ways to do it by almost accident.

Modifying a 'foamie' slope-soarer has yielded an almost scale fuselage with a scale vertical stab/rudder, using available building supplies, like layering 3 1/2 in foam insulation board and 1/4 in ply... Scarily so... Bike seat is ~ 9 1/2 in wide, inner 3 layers of 3 1/2 in foam insulation and 2 layers of 1/4 in ply is 11 in... Just enough room for aerodynamic fairings to tuck legs into...

1642028004683.png
1642027874026.png

Scarier...? My wife wants me to build it...!