Concepts only: Doodles without numbers

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

pylon500

Supporting Member
Doesn’t have landing gear or struts yet. Not the best 3d modeler by a mile, but took a crack to get a better idea of what it will look like. 2 seat staggered seating, Rotax 912, conventional gear. Aluminum sheet lower fuselage and boom. Composite cowling and radiator duct.
This is looking somewhat familiar to post#184, or is that the intention.
The hardest thing with this project is to get good pictures of it due to space, or lack of it.
I will endeavour to do a build thread on this eventually.
Progress_to_date(02:07:22.png
Currently doing the flaperons, will try to upload a video I took...
View attachment IMG_0450.mov
🤔Hmm, so far so good. You can see how crowded it is.😟

DaveK

Supporting Member
The hardest thing with this project is to get good pictures of it due to space, or lack of it.
View attachment 127275
View attachment 127276
I saw yours a week or two back and was taken aback by the similarities. Convergent evolution I’m guessing. Same basic mission statement; 2 people, great visibility, short field ability, but reasonable cruise speed that is faster then the Kolbs, Challengers, etc., with some baggage. I’ve gone through about 20 versions to get to where I am now, but basic concept is 5 yrs old now.

DaveK

Supporting Member
That looks pretty slick for a high-wing pusher. I’d be curious about how you imagine that cabin-top air intake working with the structure to connect wing and fuselage. Are there struts inside there?
Wing is supported by structure between the skin and the internal expanding radiator duct. My intention was to keep the typical mess off the top of wing you see in most pushers for better airflow. The length allows for a proper expansion and pressure recovery before the radiator. Also makes the distance between strut attachment and wing vertically a little more which is advantageous.

DaveK

Supporting Member
View attachment 127275
View attachment 127276
How wide is your cockpit? Mine is pretty narrow as passenger’s feet are the only thing next to pilot. Yours looks wider.

pylon500

Supporting Member
Hey DaveK, our beast is just coming up to 10 years of work :eek: and I'm hoping the end is in sight (this is not considering the paperwork hoops yet to come).
Cabin is 48" (outside to outside) at the main bulkhead to the front of the door frame, it's comfy wide but will have drawbacks with airflow around the back into the prop, but lets just say the builder requires an expanse of upholstery...🤔:rolleyes:
The overall layout was chosen to be similar to her Quicksilver GT400, but we ended up having to go tailwheel for practicality reasons, especially with folding wings.

DaveK

Supporting Member
Hey DaveK, our beast is just coming up to 10 years of work :eek: and I'm hoping the end is in sight (this is not considering the paperwork hoops yet to come).
Cabin is 48" (outside to outside) at the main bulkhead to the front of the door frame, it's comfy wide but will have drawbacks with airflow around the back into the prop, but lets just say the builder requires an expanse of upholstery...🤔:rolleyes:
The overall layout was chosen to be similar to her Quicksilver GT400, but we ended up having to go tailwheel for practicality reasons, especially with folding wings.
I am really worried about airflow past wing and into the prop. Cabin at wing leading edge is 36 inches at the hips. Snug, but with the staggered seating it’s actually like 13.5 inches on one side of the persons centerline and 22.5 inches on the other side. So really no snugger than a tandem with 27 inch wide cockpit. Allowed me to start taper back to prop earlier than a tandem and actually ends up having a more gentle taper. Radiator duct flares out from leading edge towards trailing edge, so hoping that helps keep separation in control.
Jealous, I’ve got years to go, sounds like you are nearly there. I need to say good enough and make more progress and less fiddling.

Radicaldude1234

That is really cool but I wonder how you will resolve the inevitable fight between those that want to sit in the nose? That's where I'd want to be!
That's easy....Just make it so cramped that no one wants to sit in there!

Obligatory 4 Engined Version with four IO-360/540...just in case you have too much money for gas
Valk4Engined.JPG

Riggerrob

That is really cool but I wonder how you will resolve the inevitable fight between those that want to sit in the nose? That's where I'd want to be!
HO HUM!
If I have to, I will settle for the tail gunner's seat in a B-25 Mitchel bomber.

J.L. Frusha

Supporting Member
Forward Swept PRANDTL w/BSCD...?
What happens if you simply flip the airfoil and control surfaces around...? Can anyone run this in some simulation software?

1661711725593.png

Attachments

• 1661698788334.png
    1661698788334.png
    315.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Sraight'nlevel

Attachments

• b52.jpg
    b52.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0

Sraight'nlevel

Yep... except that as so many multi drivers have found out, out-of-fuel is a common mode failure, no matter how many engines ya got.
Yeah, but then it becomes a glider with very good glide ratio. Any farmers field would act as a runway.

Best EDF only delivers 1/4th of the thrust: Schubeler DS-215-DIA HST 195mm Carbon EDF Ducted Fan + Motor DSM 10066-290 - TURBINES RC

It would still be enuf to carry a man or two.

Jet Cat 1000 pro costs 25 000 USd a piece.

Ducted fan is sixth of that.

Last edited:

Sraight'nlevel

1/5 scale B-52 would still be spanning over 11 meters.

Fuselage width is just a man holding.

I would fly it in prone position.

Fullmetalwelder

Here's a drawing I made this morning, please be kind, I'm really not into drawing nor into aircraft designing ahah
Also to me the fuselage look kinda too wide, I designed it with a war bids ish look, but simpler.
My dream is to have a plane where all the cross sections (both the fuselage ones and the ribs) can be cutted from wood slabs with a simple CNC machine

IMG_20220830_171309.jpg

Deuelly

Here's a drawing I made this morning, please be kind, I'm really not into drawing nor into aircraft designing ahah
Also to me the fuselage look kinda too wide, I designed it with a war bids ish look, but simpler.
My dream is to have a plane where all the cross sections (both the fuselage ones and the ribs) can be cutted from wood slabs with a simple CNC machine

View attachment 129332
Kinda has an I-16 look to it.
rata3view (1).jpg

Brandon

Fullmetalwelder

Kinda has an I-16 look to it.
View attachment 129350

Brandon
looks indeed very "chunky" ahah
I was trying to draw something like a Macchi mc202 or a Fiat G55, but as small as possible, as I previously said I really like the look of old warbirds and for me it would be a dream to have a wood plane that looks like the folgore or the centauro; something small and light that can go fastish even with low hps, but my aeronautic journey is barely started, I'm trying to learn as much as possible so one day (hopefully as soon as possible) I can make one by myself!