Concepts only: Doodles without numbers

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

J.L. Frusha

will fit under the other wings in the hangar. ;)
Got it mostly done. No other planes here, yet... I get a Mustang bike done and the wings on it will be lower. Skinny Mustang w/FSW will have to go on the other side. LOL

Cables from wing to fuselage not shown. Instruments, control-stick, throttle, battery and fuel-tank not shown.AiRecliner_v_3.pngAiRecliner_v_3B.png

nestofdragons

Got it mostly done. No other planes here, yet... I get a Mustang bike done and the wings on it will be lower. Skinny Mustang w/FSW will have to go on the other side. LOL

Cables from wing to fuselage not shown. Instruments, control-stick, throttle, battery and fuel-tank not shown.View attachment 120657View attachment 120658
I see you choose for easy access to the cockpit. Feet of pilot go on trapeze that hangs at front wing? Or will structure be longer for feet rests?

J.L. Frusha

Just a little something I put together in X-Plane
I have an account with X-Plane. Over my head, but I wish I could use it.

I use MS Paint because I was fairly well skilled at it before my strokes, which screwed up my short-term memory. That, in turn, makes it difficult to learn new-to-me stuff.

"GO FAST, TURN LEFT! "

I find that funny because of a couple of those instructions from 2 different sources... "Turn Left at the Mule" and "Turn Right at the Cornfield"... The first was from an old professor about directions to a family homesite in the country. The second was my youngest daughter sleepily trying to direct her real dad to our house. Naturally, we've merged them into "Left at the Mule, Right at the Cornfield."

Last edited:

pylon500

I have an account with X-Plane. Over my head, but I wish I could use it.

I use MS Paint because I was fairly well skilled at it before my strokes, which screwed up my short-term memory. That, in turn, makes it difficult to learn new-to-me stuff.

"GO FAST, TURN LEFT! "

I find that funny because of a couple of those instructions from 2 different sources... "Turn Left at the Mule" and "Turn Right at the Cornfield"... The first was from an old professor about directions to a family homesite in the country. The second was my youngest daughter sleepily trying to direct her real dad to our house. Naturally, we've merged them into "Left at the Mule, Right at the Cornfield."
The 'Go Fast, Turn Left' adage is usually heard around Reno with pylon racing people.

pylon500

Very cool! All aluminum? Powerplant? Mission? That wide boom is something I haven't seen much before.
Mission; Be a side by side, two place pusher that (hopefully) flies and handles like an Aeroprakt Foxbat.
Concept; All metal (it's my trade), folding wing, all pushrod control.
Power; Rotax 912uls.
Features; Staggered side by side seating to alleviate CofG problems depending on crew numbers, while still allowing face to face interaction with passenger. Fabricated tail boom to avoid all that flexing of just a big alloy tube (might be a little noisy from the prop though..?) Same wing section as the Foxbat with full span flaperons. Single person, double articulated wing fold by removing one pin (pull rear spar pin, go to tip, rotate wing nose down vertical, then walk back along fuse). The owner is relatively short, so the pilot seat and rudder pedals are adjustable (electrically). Wet leading edge wing tanks as per Piper Cherokee. Exhaust muffler within it's own cooling shroud within the engine bay to control temperatures.
Limited_space.png

rotax618

G’day Pylon500, beautiful work it is a credit to you. Have you done a preliminary CG yet, just looks to me that there is a lot of aeroplane astern of the 27% of the chord and you only have the pilot and 1/2 passenger to balance it. Please don’t take my comment as criticism, I’m probably wrong. I designed the Boorabee for me and I was over 100kg at the time, it was with some trepidation that I let a few quite lightweight guys build them, anyway they were able to get close by moving an oversized battery into the nose.

nestofdragons

G’day Pylon500, beautiful work it is a credit to you. Have you done a preliminary CG yet, just looks to me that there is a lot of aeroplane astern of the 27% of the chord and you only have the pilot and 1/2 passenger to balance it. Please don’t take my comment as criticism, I’m probably wrong. I designed the Boorabee for me and I was over 100kg at the time, it was with some trepidation that I let a few quite lightweight guys build them, anyway they were able to get close by moving an oversized battery into the nose.
Battery saves the day. I was once even thinking about placing the battery on a slider to fix weight balance more easy and to even trim in air without the use of a "draggy" control surface. But ... you need to know what you are doing with a devise like that. It could make things bad for a pilot who didn't read the manual. :rolleyes:

pylon500

'What he said.'
Yes, there's a bit of aircraft back there, but the primary pilot is reasonably forward, plus there's a little wing sweep, but yeah, good chance it will have a small car sized battery (as opposed to a motorbike one), and it will probably end up right at the nose.
My only real concern is if I find I have to put mass weights in any of the rear control surfaces, their moments could have problematic effects.
At least my 'short' pilots will need to move the seat forward to reach everything, maintaining balance.

Riggerrob

Some different ideas here.
many clever ideas there, but I suspect that it needs 4 to 6 times the wingspan to fly.
I am picturing a bird-like wing-fold scheme with a single strut going up from the fuselage to the "wrist" joint in the wing .. pointy part of leading edge.

rtfm

Quite a sexy little thing. But it reminds me to get the bug spray can out - it looks just like a mosquito with those long spindly legs. An yes, the wing is WAAAY to small... Once in the air, it'll look very cool.

Riggerrob

Battery saves the day. I was once even thinking about placing the battery on a slider to fix weight balance more easy and to even trim in air without the use of a "draggy" control surface. But ... you need to know what you are doing with a devise like that. It could make things bad for a pilot who didn't read the manual. :rolleyes:
Rotorway kit helicopters use a similar ballast weight to fine-adjust balance when they change crew. when flown solo, the ballast weight resides in the front end of the left landing skid. Traditionally, helicopters are soloed from the front right seat. When flown with both seats occupied, the ballast is shifted to the right end of the right landing skid.
While struggling with weight and balance calculations on a light, 2-seater flying boat, I toyed with two distinct locations for the anchor, tool box, etc. One locker was in the bow, with the alternate locker in a sponson (sea-wing) behind the cabin.

Floydr92

This is pretty cool. I like the narrow-chord wing. Inspired a similar sketch. It would be made out of foam and glass. It has a 4ft chord.

Rob

View attachment 121016
looks good, I think your seating position is a bit better. I really wanted the total length to be under 16' so it fits in a standard uk garage or 16' trailer with wings folded, but that meant sort of skewing the outline of a cub and making it taller. So, i opted for a semi reclined position, but in hindsight on a taildragger i'd be lying almost flat with the tail on the ground!

Reactions: RJW

RJW

looks good, I think your seating position is a bit better. I really wanted the total length to be under 16' so it fits in a standard uk garage or 16' trailer with wings folded, but that meant sort of skewing the outline of a cub and making it taller. So, i opted for a semi reclined position, but in hindsight on a taildragger i'd be lying almost flat with the tail on the ground!
I really like the way yours looks. Put a pilot in it so we can see how it looks loaded. This pilot is 6' tall. I was kind of surprised that the model ended up with so much headroom (maybe I missed something). Usually my sketches are pretty tight.

The thing I drew would fit in a 16' space with the wings off. If it were set up for folding it would be too long.

The seat is pretty reclined on this concept. Since it's just a drawing I haven't set up incidence and gear height for optimal takeoff/landing. It looks "about right." But I haven't done the math.

If it looks a little short in the nose it's because I assume a heavier auto conversion. A lighter motor could be used. Just have to rework the nose/motor mount. Again all based on TLAR.

Rob

FF3.jpg