• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Computational Software (Mathcad)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberwolf8199

I've been doodling airplane designs since I was in high school and would love to begin building one of them some day. I've been reading this forum for a while gleaning what I can and thought I'd start in on some calculations to prove out/solidify one design in particular that I'm fond of. I have an aeronautical engineering degree but all of my work experience has been as a mechanical engineer so I'm a bit rusty on the aeronautical side. I was going back through my old text books and notes from classes re-educating myself and was hoping to resurrect a program or two that I had written. In school we used Mathcad quite extensively and I still have a number of my old files. I have mathcad 2001, but unfortunately the programs were written in 2001i so I can't open them. I downloaded a free trial of the latest version and it will let me open the old files but won't save them in a version old enough for me to open once the trial runs out. I called PTC about it and they said that they do not support any of the versions from before they purchased mathsoft. When pressed about what I could do I was told, in so many words, that I should look for a pirated version. So, rather than go that route I was wondering if anyone knew of a good computational software that is free or cheap. Or for that matter if anyone had a version capable of saving my files in a 2001 format? I've looked around for an open source equivalent to use in it's place but everything I'm finding is more in the vein of matlab and maple where it's command line entry. I find the graphical interface much more comfortable to operate with (partially due to my familiarity with it) and would much prefer one that operates similarly. Any suggestions?

Back