• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Compression member location?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Aldridge

I've been comparing Avid/kitfox (tube spar) wings with SuperCub wings (extruded aluminum I-beam) and have a question, hopefully I won't get roasted too bad for asking. I noticed that kitfox wings don't use compression members. My assumption is that is due to the tube spars being strong enough in multiple directions to not need them, as opposed to the I beam spars which are really only strong in bending with the rest of the wing structure making up for their other deficiencies.

The question is why is there a compression member at the root, right at the wing attach fittings? My assumption would be that the fuselage frame would be adequate to keep the spars apart at that location. Weight being the enemy, i assume there's a good reason for it to be there.

1616005140520.png

The above pic I believe is a Javron Super Cub wing kit, that inspired the question.

Back