• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

COMPRESSED AIR instead of gas or electric? WHY NOT??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsky

Compressed air blows, that's why. 34 whr/kg and a whr/L thingy that is so darned low the Devil has to look down at it. BUT, ignoring that completely, can you put an air tank at say 2000psi in your little plane, and use the air pressure to directly turn the prop in such a way as to mimic a 15hp two stroke? enough torque? thrust? Electric motors are very efficient but what about the efficiency of pneumatic motors? Can the hoses handle it? Would it weigh more than my ex-girlfriend? Just a "what if" question i put to myself last time i took a stroll through "wonderland". Would be fun to see if it can be done for a few short theoretical minutes.

Back