• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Composites vs aluminum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my quest for composite knowledge I'm struggling to figure out something. Even at Airventure in Oshkosh I couldn't get a straight answer to a question I had, it's like witchcraft or something. Here's my question.

"What is the carbon fiber weight and thickness equivalent to aluminum for the use of a cowl."

Turns out, there's quite a few answers to this. I left Oshkosh confused but I do understand there's variables to this.

I saw one lay-up that was 2 outside layers of C.F. that sandwiched two layers of regular glass. It seemed heavier than aluminum and incredibly stiff.

My gut feeling tells me aluminum for a cowl will always be lighter than composites, is this true?

Does a secret formula exist to create a cowl from C.F. that is lighter than aluminum and can withstand the heat from the engine?

I was with my buddy when he fitted his RV9a cowl, it was a heavy dreadful beast. Some cowls are thick and heavy and some are thin and light. Why? What's going in here?

Back