Quantcast

Composite wing ribs

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

slociviccoupe

Bringing up old topic but wanting to see what is difference between a laminated foam rib and a full carbon rib that is made in much same way as an aluminum rib.
Looked at lots of different planes and ribs done in both ways.

Seems the solid carbon ribs made in molds are bonded to the skins with hysol and some also use carbon tape.

Where as the laminated foam ribs are glued with micro and use fiberglass or carbon tape to make the joint.

Which is stronger and lighter. And can foam core ribs be replaced with made in a mold carbon ribs.

rotax618

Gee it was 25years ago, the empty weight of the Mk2 Boorabees with a 582 Rotax, w/all fluids, battery, no fuel was around 160-170kg depending on instruments etc. The non-structural pod was laid up with 10oz kevlar with a 6oz glass cloth on either side, I used kevlar because it didn’t shatter in the event of a minor prang, carbon was pretty expensive in Oz at that time. Everything was hand laid up using R180 2:1 epoxy resin.
DB81CE28-E72B-4249-B45E-2BE40C542B32.jpeg75AE5A55-963D-4629-9FBA-34DE4B8D443F.jpeg

Michael Silvius

Bringing up old topic but wanting to see what is difference between a laminated foam rib and a full carbon rib that is made in much same way as an aluminum rib.
Looked at lots of different planes and ribs done in both ways.

Seems the solid carbon ribs made in molds are bonded to the skins with hysol and some also use carbon tape.

Where as the laminated foam ribs are glued with micro and use fiberglass or carbon tape to make the joint.

Which is stronger and lighter. And can foam core ribs be replaced with made in a mold carbon ribs.
From my repository of interesting pictures some photos of FG ribs just pop-riveted on to a tube spar on a Teman Monofly built in Brazil some tome ago.
007.JPG179.JPGDSC00998.JPGDSC01275.JPGDSC01266.JPGDSC01832.JPG

pwood66889

"Gee it was 25years ago, the empty weight of the Mk2 Boorabees..."
How did that little guy fly??
"From my repository of interesting pictures some photos of FG ribs just pop-riveted on to a tube spar..."
That looks quick and easy. How'd it work out???
You can learn a lot on this forum by just asking...

Michael Silvius

"From my repository of interesting pictures some photos of FG ribs just pop-riveted on to a tube spar..."
That looks quick and easy. How'd it work out???
I have no idea how it worked as it is not mine. I found the pix on the web a few years ago and saved them as I thought it was an interesting way to build ribs and then solve the issue of joining them to an aluminum spar.