• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Composite ultralight question / thought

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious, why isn't an ultralight made from composites? If you wanted it light weight couldn't you just make it thin, like a 1" wide fuselage. Like say you build this big flat table. You buy some 4 x8 sheets of foam and lay them flat. Cut it to shape, and lay the glass. The fin is part of the fuselage and runs all the way up to the motor mount.

Once you have this big flat section you can then add the H Stab, the stub wings, and some bump outs for a seat. The Sonex and RV landing gear gets built in to the engine mount. You basically straddle it like a motorcycle.

All the controls for the empennage are exterior mounted and visible.

I'm the furthest thing from a designer but it makes sense in my head. It seems to me the fuselage doesn't need to be wide. The wings are held in by two cams in the seat area and when turned counter clockwise the wings slide out for storage.
20160328_223316.jpg
20160328_223326.jpg

Back