Quantcast

Composite seats

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

slociviccoupe

What is temhe average weight of fabricated seats and their upholstery?
Ive got my eye on some very nice, comfortable, semi padded carbon race seats. They are made by tillet and have provisions for harnesses. Did i say super comfortable. I could not make a better seat. Seing if anyone has used pre made bucket seats in an aircraft. It would save me time and im not liking the bench style seat plans call for. Seat back would still be a bulkhead since its structural, would just be behind the seats.

This is the seat or very similar.

lelievre12

HBA Supporter
I was looking at these seats as well as others by Recaro etc however they were always too wide at the base and the mid section for my cabin. The Tillett looks to be narrow indeed So narrow that you'd need to check the pelvis width of passengers to make sure they could fit.

When you say 'comfortable' have you tried them? I am suspicious of the lack of padding for anything but short flights? I want to believe it however, as the weight is super attractive. I think the weight of my seats now (yet to be upholstered) are double the Tillet, however they are articulated for recline and rear pax access.

The other thing to consider is that some Tillets (3.5) need support at the arm or headrest height. They suggest "at least one mounting point must be under the headrest" so the seat cannot be mounted directly just at the base. Too flimsy.

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My hip bones are wider than that.

Riggerrob

That hard seat shell will be great for short aerobatic or racing flights.
However, I would sit in one for a few hours - watching TV - before bolting it into my airplane. ... just to ensure that its curves match the curves in my buttocks.

slociviccoupe

I used to have a birel shifter kart and the tillet seat was so comfortable id find myself sitting in the kart for no reason. Yes i have sat in one as in my friends race car. It is very comfortable. There are some other options in upholstery.
I was looking at other racing seats as well but they are considerably heavier. The tillet was lightest ive found aside from a kirkey aluminum seat.

User27

Probably also made by Tillett!!

Seems like a good idea to me, don't know why more people don't use pre-made automotive seats

PTAirco

The price tag alone would make me make my own seat.
A friend of mine built a crude, oversized seat out of MDF to fit his airplane. He then put that MDF seat into a large trash bag, filled it with expanding foam and sat on it for a while. Took out the foam, glassed it over, had a thin layer of upholstery applied and had a perfect seat. .

Riggerrob

The price tag alone would make me make my own seat.
A friend of mine built a crude, oversized seat out of MDF to fit his airplane. He then put that MDF seat into a large trash bag, filled it with expanding foam and sat on it for a while. Took out the foam, glassed it over, had a thin layer of upholstery applied and had a perfect seat. .
That is similar to the method they use to custom-fit seats in Formula Ford racing cars.
I prefer to have some crushable foam between the bottom of my spine and the bottom of the airplane because I already have 4 weakened spinal disks - from a King Air crash - and have no desire to increase my number of weak disks..

slociviccoupe

^ i think that is the reason. The bench seat in the plans not only makes a seat and a bulkhead but its designed to break underneath at so many g's in a crash and provide some sort of destructive cushion. These seats wouldnt have that unless designed the mounting brackets out of foam and glass or with aluminum hardware.
We all hope not to crash but have to be smart about it and design around the possibility it could happen. Heck id love to have a laminated structure around the cockpit sort of like a composite roll bar. I was even thinking pultruded carbon rod for this.