- Oct 18, 2003
- Saline Michigan
I built five of the six sides on a male mold of white foam, coated in dry micro to keep the vinylester out of of the foam, then release taped it. Did an open wet layup against the release tape to make a well sealed tub. Vacuum bagged on the foam cores, the aluminum inserts for pipe threaded penetrations, and the outer layer of glass and resin. Baffle stock was vacuum bagged on a table. Lid will be made separately and the flange transfer technique to give it sturdy bonding surfaces. If I were building in with the firewall and forward deck already in place thus needing to mold four surfaces, I would do it that way too.I checked one online supplier today who wanted about $400 for one 4' x 8' x 1/8" extruded vinylester/fiberglass sheet cut into four 4' x 2' sections plus another $75 for shipping, so I contacted another for a quote and that one wanted $450 + $100. That's just for the one sheet, I would still need resin and FG cloth for the curved decking/tank top and FG tape to put it all together. :-( So it sounds I'd end up making the sheet myself on a plate of glass.
If going down that road, I wonder if I'd be better off making a foam plug (less the 3/8" spacing above the deck per the plans) on which to form the bottom and ends of the tank including the flanges for gluing to the tank top/decking. I could see tacking the "funnel" on the main plug to form the sump at the same time. Then I'd add the internal baffles and glue it all together, at least, that's the theory.