• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Composit Bush Plane Suited for Arctic Operations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paraplane

I'd like to ask questions/start a discussion on suitability of composit aircraft for Bush operations in arctic conditions. From what I've seen in construction of tent shelters type for useage in arctic conditions aluminum structures are used predominantly/preferred as aluminum I suppose has less fatigue/failure potential as opposed to fiberglass/graphite structures. Now this assumes much specifically comparing questionable quality unidirectional graphite tent poles to that of aluminum.

My thinking is that take a Sailplane flying at high altitude for example Perlan or aircraft such as Proteus or White Knight. These craft spend considerable time aloft where with wind chill factor temperatures must be extreme/rival sea level arctic conditions.

The comparisons of these to tent poles are not exactly on par yet I imagine there is useful evidence that composit structure could indeed tolerate harsh environments. Just food for thought and exploding options.

Back