Completing the project

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

Log Member
I don't waste time counting time working on projects, don't keep track of time when having fun. What I do is not work. When it becomes work, I turn the lights off and shut the door and go to the house and spend time with my wife. Been married 56 years and still love being with her. Don't keep track of that time either. :)

My trouble is getting a lot done in a short time is having the material on hand for the job when I need it. I hate the job of ordering parts and dealing with wrong shipments. So IF I would do this, I need to get prepared and order what I need before the starting date.

It the business, one time my wife and my daughter and myself started restoring a 1956 C-172 that was a bare aluminum shell and everything else in boxes. Started on Sept 1 and took it to the airport on Dec 6 and bolted the wings on. New instruments, wiring, all glass, stripped and painted , in interior, daughter majored the engine with all new accessory's , daughter and I spent a week riveting on the wing repairing damage,etc. My wife had a full time job of ordering parts and having everything there on time. We had a commercial account with Alexander Airparts and the local Cessna Dealer at that time. We all three worked 8 hr day, 6 days a weeks until finished.

That 1956 C-172 was the 226 th one made. It was special for me. Back in about 1965 living in PA, I wanted to by it but with a young family just couldn't afford it, so with tears in my eyes I turned my back and walked away. While looking for a project in 1992, I saw an ad in Trade-A-Plane about a 1956 C-172 completely dis-assembled stored in a chicken house in Tenn. I bought it and trucked it home and after going thru the log books better, discovered that it was the same airplane. I still had pictures that I had taken of it back in 1965.
Today its in VA and the owner still keeps it touch. When we finished it and put it on the market, we had 6 people in line wanting to buy it.
OK, I'll quit flapping my jaws. :)

Dan

Last edited:

FritzW

Log Member
Just an idea but, what if we had a thread that was a 30 day challenge. Start signing up who wants to join the challenge on a thread ahead of time. Pick a start date and everyone post each day, even if it's 10 minutes.

See who makes it 30 days? Who knows, maybe this could be a cool thing.

January 1st - February 1st? A guy can get a lot done in 30 days if pushed.
Brilliant!
I'm in. Let's start Jan 1st. I'll be completely unprepared, my garage will still be trashed (it's possible I will be also :gig:) and I won't have enough materials on hand to do much. It would be the PERFECT situation to make me get the ball rolling again on my project.

On Feb 1st we have a completely subjective vote on who made the most progress (given their current circumstances). The winner gets a bottle of the very finest hand crafted New Mexico Bourbon (supplied by me).

gtae07

A way to make progress?

Don't screw up like I did and slip off a rivet with the bucking bar. Now I get to spend 100-1000 times more time fixing the problem than I would have just double-checking before I pulled the trigger on the rivet gun :mad2:

Nothing slows progress like negative work...

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I don't waste time counting time working on projects, don't keep track of time when having fun. What I do is not work. When it becomes work, I turn the lights off and shut the door and go to the house and spend time with my wife. Been married 56 years and still love being with her. Don't keep track of that time either. ��
Dan
The goal isn't time, the goal is to motivate and help other people complete a project. Goal setting.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Brilliant!
I'm in. Let's start Jan 1st. I'll be completely unprepared, my garage will still be trashed (it's possible I will be also :gig:) and I won't have enough materials on hand to do much. It would be the PERFECT situation to make me get the ball rolling again on my project.

On Feb 1st we have a completely subjective vote on who made the most progress (given their current circumstances). The winner gets a bottle of the very finest hand crafted New Mexico Bourbon (supplied by me).
I'm in. ****, now I have less than a month to get my ducks in a row.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Seems timely to mention again that my friend built a II M, from first tube cut, to first flight, in 4 months. He had everything in the shop before he started, and had help with skinning the wing. It was his third or fourth airplane.

BJC

Pops

Log Member
Seems timely to mention again that my friend built a II M, from first tube cut, to first flight, in 4 months. He had everything in the shop before he started, and had help with skinning the wing. It was his third or fourth airplane.

BJC
And he didn't sleep.

Pops

Log Member
I'll just watch from the background and set in my easy chair and drink a RC cola and eat a moon pie. It's a good idea , but I'll watch. The JMR is my last project if I ever get it finished. I need to build less and fly more.

Dan

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member

BJC
I wish you wouldn't have told me that. Lol

Reactions: BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
Another prolific, and fast, builder was Allan Tolle. I met Allan at SnF where he was showing his newly-built RV-6 that he had built in 6 months. It was reported to be the first with an O-360 and a CS prop. (Van's 160HP with a FP prop was faster.) Recall that, back then, RV kits were closer to material kits than the assembly of punched parts that they are today. He told me that he had every part necessary to complete the airplane before he started work, that he had a job (college techer) that allowed him lots of time in the workshop, that he came home and spent the evenings working on the airplane until he was too tired to work, then went to bed. The next day, while he was at work, his wife would go to the shop, clean all the tools that he had used and put them in the tool box, and clean the shop.

I'm fairly certain that the reason that I work so slowly is that I do my own shop clean-up and put the tools up myself.

Allan Tolle: https://www.facebook.com/notes/vans-aircraft-inc/alan-tolle-van/1101699483173756/

BJC

Group Builder