Compass requirements?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pilot-34

Perhaps they do, for city boys.

BJC
well to this Alaskan country farm boy with a few thousand hours of looking at trees they can looking awful lot A like from 2000 feet or 2 feet.

For a half an ounce and the space of an inch and a half you can pick up a nice little compass for two dollars.

Ultimate Survival Technologies Pathfinder GLO Compass-Whole Earth Provision Co. | Ust Brands Ultimate Survival Technologies Pathfinder GLO Compass

They’re pretty common in farm stores like Blainsfleet and Farm to for about the same price.

Last edited:

Pilot-34

Here's my compass. My home field is ~60 miles from Mt. Rainier, and if I can see the mountain, getting home is pretty automatic.
View attachment 97932
Ron Wanttaja
But what about those days when you can’t see your mountain ?

For about eight bucks in about 2 1/2 ounces he could include this

HOME / TOOLS / COMPASSES
Hi Vis Folding Map Compass

The Hi Vis Folding Map Compass is one of the most reliable and versatile compasses available. The rugged, liquid-filled compass offers many useful features not found on standard compasses.

SKU: 20-12132
Category: Compasses
DESCRIPTION
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
The Hi Vis Folding Map Compass is one of the most reliable and versatile compasses available. The rugged, liquid-filled compass offers many useful features not found on standard compasses. It features a durable, fluorescent green baseplate with a folding cover with an integrated sighting mirror. The liquid-filled compass has a swivel bezel for easy map reading, plus inch, metric, and 1:25,000 scales for precise route planning. Great for hiking, wilderness survival, and novice and advanced orienteering, the fluorescent green base plate has a rugged 5mm thick base that measures 3.7 x 2.5 inches for improved map reading. Perfect for any pack, the Folding Map Compass weighs just 2.4 ounces.

Last edited:

Pilot-34

If you’re looking for lightweight aircraft stuff I have found the back packing industry to be a good place to check out .
When you’re putting those ounces on your back they are even more important than in a micro light!

Pops

Log Member
In my PP training, I had to fly VOR approaches at night after a cross county with just a compass , airspeed, altimeter and an old Genave Alpha 200, 1 1/2 system. I still have it.
I'm not giving away the most reliable thing in the instrument panel.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I now fly only day VFR. When flying locally, I have no need for any navigation device to know where I am. When flying CC or in an unfamiliar area, I keep track of where the nearest airport is. If the entire panel were to disappear, I would be able to fly to that airport. That is easy to do, it just requires paying attention. There may be areas of the country where doing that would not be easy, but with only a couple of exceptions over the Rockies in Idaho, (and I had a plan there, just not a direct path - think “fly to the road down the valley, turn right, follow the road, airport on the right”) the areas where I have flown posed no challenge.

Certainly, if one flies IFR, or VFR above an overcast, etc., things are different.

BJC

Will Aldridge

Log Member
My plane is day vfr only. It should never fly at night, legally or equipment wise(no lights etc). The idea of a small pocket compass is on my mind. 2 ounces is certainly better than 10.

Pilot-34

it just requires paying attention. There may be areas of the country where doing that would not be easy, .

Certainly, if one flies IFR, or VFR above an overcast, etc., things are different.

BJC
I don’t know how it happens, But when it rains it pours and in this case that can be a literal.
Some minor problem distractS you for a few minutes a few seconds later it starts raining now how do you find your AirPort?

Almost every accident I’ve read about includes a chain of distractions

Daleandee

Here's my compass. My home field is ~60 miles from Mt. Rainier, and if I can see the mountain, getting home is pretty automatic.
View attachment 97932
Ron Wanttaja
What a beautiful sight!

I was flying with a friend in his Rockwell Commander 112A when the iPad overheated so we had no GPS. I said well there is I-95, over there is Lake City Airport, and looking far in the distance we could see Lake Moultrie about 45 miles away. Our home airport is 25 miles on the other side of that. None of that required a compass but it did require a clear day.

Wanttaja

But what about those days when you can’t see your mountain ?

For about eight bucks in about 2 1/2 ounces he could include this

HOME / TOOLS / COMPASSES
Hi Vis Folding Map Compass

The Hi Vis Folding Map Compass is one of the most reliable and versatile compasses available. The rugged, liquid-filled compass offers many useful features not found on standard compasses.
Got one. Here is it installed:
swing.jpg
Ron Wanttaja

tralika

For those of you using the little pocket compasses in your plane, have you checked to see if you experience any deviation errors in flight? Depending on your plane, you might be better off without it.

Pops

Log Member
Can you roll out from a turn and be within 5 degress of the heading to want to fly with a compass ? Do you know how to decend down through a cloud layer in a VFR airplane when caught on top of a cloud layer with a compass ? Etc.

Hephaestus

screw the paddle keyer.

When I build E-AB, I don’t put any instruments in... I need that panel space for my cup holders and cookie holders.
How did I miss this and how does bmcj not realize that we want taco holders not cookie holders.

Everyone needs tacos, you're doing us a favor leaving out the cookie holders but no taco holders... that's just unamerican 🤣

With love from Canada where we can't event get taco meat!

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Since we are off topic by a mile. I have an astro compass for sale to the highest bidder that will include the unused cookies. No tacos please. Also a Narco coffee grinder with whistle stop tunning.

It is time to clean out the basement.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I had a passing interest in Ham radio as a young child. Had a paddle, and could talk about four tines faster than I could listen.

BJC

Daleandee

I had a passing interest in Ham radio as a young child. Had a paddle, and could talk about four tines faster than I could listen.
I struggled through enough code to get a license but now that requirement is gone. I wasn't real good at it but it was fun enough.

Sorry we're so far off topic but just to make the point: