• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Compare Aero-vee with Diehl?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviacs

At one point the engine in my Sonerai 2L was an Aero-vee from 2002. According to the logs it was upgraded with the nikasil cylinders when they came out. that proved troublesome. The engine was replaced with a GP 2276 & Diehl case.

I received the Aero Vee case (Mounting plate, alternator, starter, and ring gear, all dis-assembled), with the airplane.
Someone asked to buy them. Neither one of us has a clue what the "value" would be largely because Aero-Vee does not sell most individual parts. (They show some replacements in the catalog, e.g. new sky-tec starter @ $315 to holders of an engine serial #).

I am hesitant to sell parts until the airplane (or at least engine) is proven again. OTOH, there are enough other accumulated parts, machines, tools, etc for my extended estate sale as it is, and best not to keep things that will never be used if someone else can be getting something out of them.

So, are there any pros/cons between Aero-Vee and Diehl set up?
Intrinsically i veer toward the straightforward cost effective aspect of GP products. OTOH are they firmly re-estabished as an on-going supplier?

PS: we are both machinists and can make, repair or adapt the worn parts shown as necessary. Condition certainly affects the value question. (starter also exists, not shown) Nonetheless, neither of us would likely use them as the maker intended, directly. :) The abiding question to relieve my jitters about disposing: does Aero-vee or Diehl have any advantage that the other does not?

Thanks!
smtDSC_0003.JPGDSC_0014.JPG

Last edited:
Back