• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Commercial air traffic jams

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesG

Had to fly back out to Nuevo México for a funeral this weekend, and while sitting in the cattle car looking out the port hole, wishing (again) I had invested in a PPL, I started the old habit of scanning for other traffic, and noticed... a lot of it. On each leg, I saw multiple other aircraft, usually other airliners within a couple of nM of us, some of which the pilots obviously had to maneuver to increase separation.

While it was cool to fly in formation with another plane and have to dodge other ones zipping by, it got me thinking... did they tighten the commercial air corridors or is it that now that everything follows the same GPS guided autopilot flight plans, AC are "bunching up" tighter than they used to?

Back