• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Com Radio: Replace my underpanel unit or go with panel-mount "handheld"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
The underpanel-mounted VAL COM 760 radio in my Sonex is nearly dead (largely unreadable in transmit mode). I spent over $200 eight months ago to get it put right, and I'm not sure it was ever really fixed, so I don't want to spend any more on it. My (low-budget) options are: Get a used VAL 760 unit (probably around $200-$250) which would slide into the existing bracket, or mount a "handheld" on the panel and hook it into my plane's power, intercom, and VHF antenna. With the handheld I'd save some money, get a warranty and get some new features (station memory, maybe even a VOR/LOC function for $100 more). But, a handheld won't look as good and the knobs won't be quite as easy to use (up on top). The carrier power on these handhelds is about 1.5 watts, much less than the 8 watts of the VAL or other panel mounts, but I've heard that people use them just fine for the typical 0-50 mile comms of VFR flight when using an external antenna.

Thoughts and experiences with the handheld-on-the-panel option?

Thanks,
Mark

Back