Colorado GA Airports

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I am in Castle Rock between Denver and Colorado Springs for the Thanksgiving Holiday.

There are several private airports in the area and considerable glider activity.

I am staying with my daughter who just moved into the area from WA and would like to connect with local pilots as I may establish here in the future.

Any local knowledge is appreciated.

Interested in a home for a glider and tow plane, ultralights, LSA, etc.

dwalker

Supporting Member
Castle Rock is nice. I had a house in Aurora until 2020. You might look into the Loveland area, there is a really nice little airport there and not too far north from there is a gliderport.

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
Castle Rock is a little tough for flying since the nearest public access airports are Centennial to the north (south Denver) and Meadow Lake to the south (north Colorado Springs). Meadow Lake is an air park with public access, while Centennial is a busy class D with a LOT of traffic and a mix of jets. Centennial is the place where that Cirrus missed its turn to final and hit the Metroliner on the parallel approach last summer. Kelly Air Park, near Elbert, is a few clicks south of Castle Rock—home of the Black Forest Soaring Society. There may be a few home sites still available there, although I haven’t looked into it for five years or more.

There are lots of GA airports on the north side of Denver (Rocky Mtn Metro, Longmont, Boulder, Erie, Platte Valley, and Ft Collins/Loveland, now known as Northern CO or NoCo, as @dwalker mentioned) although these are a fair drive from Castle Rock through Denver traffic. There is a lot of training north of Denver stretching up to Greeley. You may have seen there was a midair between a flight school 172 and a Xenos recently in this busy area north of Denver, so you do need to keep your eyes open. Also there’s a glider outfit in Boulder if that’s your thing.

The downsides to the Front Range can sometimes be traffic, wind, and considerable summer DA, but it‘s a beautiful area especially if you like easy access to mountain flying and some decent metro areas if you want to be around people (or plenty of space on the plains if you don‘t).