Cockpit size of a Thorp t18

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv7charlie

Unfortunately, you can't really tell without sitting in that particular a/c. Builders have a lot of leeway when setting up the cockpit. If the builder was close to your size, you'll likely fit fine, & you could probably make a few changes if he wasn't. Long legs vs long torso, etc; any variable can make a difference. The hard limit is width. They're a bit narrower than an RV, so a pair of Bubbas will be either uncomfortable or very friendly.

If well built, they're a great value. 80-90% of an RV for typically less than half the price.

wwalton

Log Member
I'll respond because I just looked at an original plans circa 1969 T18. I'm 5'9" with 30" inseam. The plane felt like it was made for me. I had to dunk my head to slide the canopy closed after that it was perfect. Like rv7charlie said a lot depends on where your dimensions are. I will say the width is similar to the old 150 I fly. If you are wider, like me, you'll be cramped or alone. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the seat cushion and pedal positions, possible to get a bit of length there.

I didn't get to fly it, bad weather, but I'm seriously considering the purchase anyways.

aircraftbuilder

The width is not really my concern. I have longer legs so, I am more or less concerned if my legs will be cramped. 😂😂 I have been in one, a long time ago when I was a kid so I really cant remember much besides going upside down was fun.

aircraftbuilder

I'll respond because I just looked at an original plans circa 1969 T18. I'm 5'9" with 30" inseam. The plane felt like it was made for me. I had to dunk my head to slide the canopy closed after that it was perfect. Like rv7charlie said a lot depends on where your dimensions are. I will say the width is similar to the old 150 I fly. If you are wider, like me, you'll be cramped or alone. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the seat cushion and pedal positions, possible to get a bit of length there.

I didn't get to fly it, bad weather, but I'm seriously considering the purchase anyways.
I Believe I know which thorp you are talking about. I was looking at the same one but I ended up deciding not to go with it as its far from me.

edwisch

There's also the S-18, a T-18 derivative with a wider fuselage, less dihedral, and optional folding wings... or something like that.