Quantcast

Cobalt CO50

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
The Valkyrie was a deathtrap that the pilot was lucky to survive. What "killed" the company (in quotes because it appears to be one of those zombies that keeps coming back) is the fact that their airplane was poorly designed and had miserable performance and even worse handling.
Don't hold back, Bob - tell us what you really think...

lelievre12

HBA Supporter
I know you have "expert" in quotes, but he was not.

"Successfully" has many different possible interpretations. What's yours? Got off the ground? Flew around in circles at low bank angles? Didn't melt the engine? Was able to land without destroying itself?

This discussion should be in the "Cobalt" or "Valkyrie" thread - I believe there was one...
Marc,

I'm on your side on this one. The ATP that crashed the Valkyrie was obviously not at all suited to the required task. The silent deference given to ATP and big hour pilots is often misplaced as the skills required by a test pilot are not the same as line transport. The same goes with test pilots, however Wasabi do have a lot of canard (Quickie?) experience even to the extent of crashing one after an assymetric (jet) engine failure. The point is (was) that Peter is not automatically disqualified from flying his creation on the basis that an ATP might have more hours. As you will agree, there is much more to being a test pilot than that.

I guess the 'successful' Valkyrie flights were the ones that explored the (bad) flight characteristics of the airframe without destroying it! Unfortunately that is often not the case such as Commuter Car and Detroit Flying Car with Samson not far behind. In addition to their obvious design weaknesses, each of these made the kind first flight mistakes we are all so keen to see Pete avoid.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
No mention of the pilot checking aileron authority in the two test runs on the 11800' runway.

Steve C

Pretty amazing one would continue flight and climb away with extremely poor control when there had to be a lot of runway ahead. I've flown to Castle in a 180. The runway is enormous