Quantcast

Cobalt CO50

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I think that Cobalt was on display in a big portable building at Oshkosh 2010. Nobody around, just an unfinished shell as far as I could tell.

autoreply

Merged the above post in this existing topic.

Seems to have flown this year. Anybody who knows more?

Seems pressurization and some other stuff (turboprops) are left out now.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
For an airplane that's flown, I still note a complete lack of actual photographs on their website. Still just CGI, and a big push to "order now, Now, NOW!!!"

EDIT: Okay, saw the photos in the Wired article. Hadn't flown as of that writing - engine hadn't yet been installed. And the airplane shown is named as their fifth prototype. Naturally, they need "more investment" to get to their goal of a type-certificated product, with an MSRP of $699,000.

So, five prototypes, of which none has actually flown. More investment money needed. Pretty sure I've heard this tune before. Not a scam. Just another Babbage with a great build team and nobody to shoot the engineer and release the product.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
For an airplane that's flown, I still note a complete lack of actual photographs on their website. Still just CGI, and a big push to "order now, Now, NOW!!!"

EDIT: Okay, saw the photos in the Wired article. Hadn't flown as of that writing - engine hadn't yet been installed. And the airplane shown is named as their fifth prototype. Naturally, they need "more investment" to get to their goal of a type-certificated product, with an MSRP of $699,000.

So, five prototypes, of which none has actually flown. More investment money needed. Pretty sure I've heard this tune before. Not a scam. Just another Babbage with a great build team and nobody to shoot the engineer and release the product.
I saw a video online somewhere (not CGI) of them at least taking one lap around the pattern in one of their prototypes. Probably 40 seconds of on-screen flight time, from takeoff with a Cozy (?) chase plane, to in-flight shots presumably from the Cozy, and the landing sequence. The gear remained down the whole time.

Reminded me of a little more adventurous first flight than the one Terrafuga made where they lifted off, took it to a couple hundred feet, and landed straight ahead on the long, long runway. They filmed it from enough angles the stitched together video gave the impression of much, much more flying time. Then, I think they retired that version, took more investor money, and built the next one (which they flew at Osh last year or the year before). It looked marginally flyable and badly underpowered when it flew.

proppastie

Log Member
Maybe the Chinese will buy the company....Owners/developers cash out and we get some of our dollars back.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Lots of carefully worded statements in their web site that can lead one to believe things that are not actually claimed.

Be careful. Be skeptical.

BJC

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I saw a video online somewhere (not CGI) of them at least taking one lap around the pattern in one of their prototypes. Probably 40 seconds of on-screen flight time, from takeoff with a Cozy (?) chase plane, to in-flight shots presumably from the Cozy, and the landing sequence. The gear remained down the whole time....
I'd love to see that, if you can find a link.

BJC

HBA Supporter

bmcj

HBA Supporter
A friend of mine who races at Reno said he was asked if he was interested in being their test pilot. He had heard that Dave Morss had declined that offer previously and if Morss wouldn't do it, he (my friend) had no business trying it.

Note that this is NOT a condemnation of the plane by any means.

autoreply

The engineer is the CEO/owner ;-)

Hear-say, but apparantly they had some major issues with the airframe.

I do like the configuration, it being quiet (inside), great visibility etc. Looking at some design details however, seems they still have a long way to go. Canard fairing in is just one where I'm curious how that'll work out.

BJC

HBA Supporter
o
The engineer is the CEO/owner ;-)

Hear-say, but apparantly they had some major issues with the airframe.

I do like the configuration, it being quiet (inside), great visibility etc. Looking at some design details however, seems they still have a long way to go. Canard fairing in is just one where I'm curious how that'll work out.
Read carefully. The promos say that he studied aircraft design at GT. There is no such program at GT. In the five or six www blurbs about him, I found no statement that he actually has a degree in any branch of engineering.

BJC

autoreply

o

Read carefully. The promos say that he studied aircraft design at GT. There is no such program at GT. In the five or six www blurbs about him, I found no statement that he actually has a degree in any branch of engineering.

BJC
This is the claim:
David Loury CEO of COBALT. MSc Aero Georgia Tech, engineering (EADS) & business background (Altran).

Aerospace Engineering | Graduate Studies | Georgia Institute of Technology | Atlanta, GA

Seems they have a general aerodynamics master indeed?

BJC

HBA Supporter
This is the claim:
David Loury CEO of COBALT. MSc Aero Georgia Tech, engineering (EADS) & business background (Altran).

Aerospace Engineering | Graduate Studies | Georgia Institute of Technology | Atlanta, GA

Seems they have a general aerodynamics master indeed?
Perhaps gtae07 will comment if things have changed, but, as far as I know, GT still awards a BAE, or "Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering" and a Master and Doctorate of A E, not a "Masters of Science in A E."

Over many years of recruiting, interviewing and supervising engineers, I learned to be very suspicious of such seemingly innocent errors or mis-statements in resumes. This case is an example of where I would insist on receiving a GT transcript directly from GT before making a job offer.

BJC

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
GT MAE degree or not, the proof will be in the performance of the airplane and the company designing, building, selling and supporting it. We will see if they can live up to all their press releases of the past few days.

BJC

autoreply

Perhaps gtae07 will comment if things have changed, but, as far as I know, GT still awards a BAE, or "Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering" and a Master and Doctorate of A E, not a "Masters of Science in A E."

Over many years of recruiting, interviewing and supervising engineers, I learned to be very suspicious of such seemingly innocent errors or mis-statements in resumes. This case is an example of where I would insist on receiving a GT transcript directly from GT before making a job offer.

BJC
Maybe I'm just too naïve, but it never occured to me that someone would/could bluntly lie about that.

Sharp catch, I'm curious how it turns out. Obviously, the product is what matters, but if the potential above turns out to be true, IMHO that says a lot about business practises etc.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Maybe I'm just too naïve, but it never occured to me that someone would/could bluntly lie about that.
Note that I am just questioning what I am reading about him. His credentials may be totally legitimate, but there are several red flags in the promo material about both him and the company.

I have seen too many cases of people lying about their credentials. Sad state of affairs, indeed.

BJC