CNC Foam cutter

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Foundationer

It finally occurred to me that I could convert the thing to cut cores/moulds of almost any size by having independent towers and a weight tensioned wire. I don't know why it took me two years to think of that but there you go. Here's a 1.8m wingtip upper mould that turned out pretty good first go!

Attachments

Foundationer

That is a HUGE kerf. You must be running some major current.
Yeah probably. 36v at about 3a I suspect.

The tip is moving half the speed of the root which has a more sensible kerf but is the limiting factor. The great thing about it is you get a really nice firm surface where the foam has melted.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
As I remember it one of the software packages has kerf compensation. What I can't remember is if you can do different kerf compensation at each end of the wire. If I was posed with that problem I would just offset the airfoils after measuring the kerf and put the compensation in the input geometry I guess.

I have a really cheap original 4 axis CNC wire cutter. Works but really made for light model airplane applications. You did a good job of scrounging to get the cost down to 250 quid. I have an entire redundant CNC machine setup of steppers, power supplies, drivers, BOB, etc... and I was looking at making a meter cube machine and it still came out to $900 which is still good for a very rigid machine.

BTW I use .025 and .032 stainless safety wire for my rig. Works great. That way you don't have to waste good guitar strings. I keep a lot of guitar strings in stock :)

Vigilant1

What is your total wire length, and what is the approx width of that kerf on the tip end (5mm?). I guess it might be possible to determine the relationship of cutting speed to kerf width and then incorporate that into your pattern allowances, if this is a critical issue.

Thanks.

Foundationer

I used jedicut which took a lot of work to get right with a .dxf input as it's aimed at rc wing cutting but it does alow you to specify a kerf at each end. The real problem with this was that I only had the 'really long wire' epiphany after milling the moulds for the other tip. Each process has its own accuracy/tolerances so to get both sides identical took some tweaking. Milling makes a hell of a lot more mess.

Attachments

rtfm

Hi,
I'm cutting foam ribs, not full full foam cores as you are doing. Cutting ribs, of course, is a darn side easier, and I do so on my cnc router. Like this: The nose of the middle rib hasn't QUITE cut all the way through (slight depth adjustment required) but the difference is only wafer thick.
1616361652780.png

Foundationer

Hi,
I'm cutting foam ribs, not full full foam cores as you are doing. Cutting ribs, of course, is a darn side easier, and I do so on my cnc router. Like this: The nose of the middle rib hasn't QUITE cut all the way through (slight depth adjustment required) but the difference is only wafer thick.
View attachment 108825
They look great! I really like the idea of foam ribs. Are you putting glass or spruce cap strips on em?

I had a go at making a vacuum hold down for mine so I wouldn't have to keep putting all the screws in otherwise pristine parts. Be really useful for foam.

rtfm

Hi,
I'm sheeting my wings with 1.5mm Gaboon ply (really light stuff), so there is no need to add ply cap strips. I find that a bit of double-sided tape works wonders. There is very little lateral pressure on the foam as the bit cuts its way through. I'm using a 3mm bit, running at 4800mm/min in a single pass. Works beautifully. Quite messy, though.

For design software, I'm using DevWing Cam (by Profili), which is great for creating complex wings (although mine are very simple).