Quantcast

Cloud White-out & spin; does he live ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Certification standards do not investigate over three or five turns. Read about the Cessna 150 recovery after multiple turns. Recovery is not always as expected. It can take more than two turns.
A local airline pilot and his son went to the bottom of a lake demonstrating that.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Rudder first, stop the rotation, then un-stall the airplane.
The only maneuver that I have spun out of was a one turn inverted spin. I had done the exact spin many times, with a starting altitude of 1,700 AGL as part of a competition free program. I was a little late applying opposite rudder, so when it was time to stop the one turn spin, I pulled back. Even though I instantly recognized what was happening, a planned one turn became a three turn.

BJC

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Haven’t heard Leigh’s name in many years.
I was hoping that you might have known him in the acro world. It's been 30+ years, and I still remember him, the friendly and low-pressure style of instruction backed up by just really solid competence. Flying with him in the S-2 was the only time for me when I could almost enjoy spinning an airplane, where my irrational side knew I could not break the airplane and not run out of control.

He once said to me "If you can land a Pitts at Santa Paula, you can land just about any taildragger anywhere."

Then a moment later, he related how he had to land there at night coming back from a contest. No lights on the airplane, no lights on the runway... just a dark spot next to town that he knew well enough.

Thinking about trying to do that still spooks me.

Mcmark

A family friend went to Riddle with Lee.
Wayne flew lead (C180) on a 2 ship for Lee (Laser 230) into Kennedy to load his airplane for the WAC in 1990.
I never had the the chance to meet him.

I fixed the date as '88 was Red Deer Canada.

Last edited:

Derswede

More than once, sat at one end of a runway with the brights on the car pointed down the runway. Parked just at the end of the runway, the Beech thundered overhead and touched down. Would not want to try that myself! My father flew Bamboo bombers and Gooney Birds in Korea and had to deliver supplies to "marginal airfields" using the same trick.

flitzerpilot

crkcrk. Re the 'duck and cat' on-board equipment, you forgot the parrot. Parrots sound off like a stall-warner when one is about to flare, as reported by pilots delivering parrots by air.

Regarding spinning, twice due to a combination of circumstances I've spun through a hole in the undercast to save life. And on one occasion (referencing the post above) encountering increasing headwinds as the sun went down, with no visible instruments in a Jodel D.9 and the fuel indicator (cork and wire) jammed in the 'full' position despite all sorts of manoeuvres to free it; sea fog drifting in obscuring the dark bit where I thought the airfield ought to be, I was grateful for the airport operator's Land Rover parked on the threshold with a rotating beacon and headlights illuminating the runway. On touchdown the fuel float dropped into the bottom of the tank with an audible clang and the engine stopped by itself when I parked at the hangar. Fuel endurance was 2.5 hrs. with a 1600cc VW motor with a 6.1 Imp gal tank, which is why my later Flitzer series with VWs had an additional 2.4 gals or 4 gals for bigger 1834 or 2100cc motors.

As for spinning, the Flitzers spin fast, more than 360 degrees/sec. (viewable on You Tube) and each of the Flitzer series recovers from a developed spin (up to 8-turns tested) within 1/4 turn using a conventional recovery technique. It's virtually instantaneous using the Mueller method. Light, relatively short wings contribute to this behaviour.

As to the remainder of this post, for sure one must learn from one's mistakes and those of others, because one will never live long enough to make them all oneself, to quote someone wiser than me.