• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Close-Out Ribs, Fill and Fair or Leave Them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
All of my control surfaces are hotwired cores, vacuum bagged skins, and then I rout a little foam from the very ends and apply a 2 BID closeout rib to keep the top and bottom skins from peeling from the foam. Pretty standard stuff. But, which is the right way to finish the job? What is best for overall aerodynamics? I wished that I had paid attention to this at fly-ins...

Should I leave the 1/2-3/4" indented closeout rib naked? With everything else looking sooooo smoooth on the outside of a composite bird, this seems incongruous.

Should I insert a chunk of foam, attaching it with dry micro, then fill and sand the ends smooth? This seems more in keeping with the smooth outside of composite birds, but I wonder if it does not increase the air leaks across the ends of the surfaces.

Then, If I do fill and fair the ends, I suspect that I put the smallest radius on the corner I can - correct?

Some folks, notably AutoReply, have advocated for end plates on control surfaces. Anybody with knowledge on this?

Am I wondering over a simply appearance item? If that is all we are talking about, how are the various end treatments viewed by the judges?

Data, science, and opinions welcome.

Billski

Back