• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Clipped wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georden

I've wanted to design and build my own plane for years, but after all this time of being on my to do list I haven't been able to find the time, and don't see it happening in the forseeable future...

So I'm thinking of modifying an existing kit to be close to what I want and cut my build time down to about a fifth of what i estimate it would take to design and build my own.

So the design I'm considering is similar in size, weight, and power to what I wanted, but it is intended to meet lsa requirements so the stall speed and cruise speed are lower than what i wanted.

So I'm thinking of clipping approx 10% of the wing area. My concerns are that reducing the span will lower the aspect ratio and cost cancel some of performance increase I am hoping for and that with the reduced area the rate of climb will be reduced too much.

Anyone have any first hand experience with clipping wings?

Back