Clever Cygnet panel

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by FritzW, May 25, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 25, 2019 #1

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Matt sent me a picture of his Cygnet panel this morning. I thought it was a particularly clever way to make a really pretty panel. ...much nicer than the 1970's clicky tape embosser I use ;)

I don't know if it's laser etched or router engraved but it sure came out nice. I wonder if you could color fill the engraving without making a mess out of it?

EDIT: it looks like he did color fill for the fuel shut off

Resized_20190524_160113.jpeg

2. May 25, 2019 #2

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

It does look classy and fits the plane well.
    What's the translucent grid/bar applique in the windscreen? Is it a guide to help line up with the tanker boom? A high-tech replacement for the grease pencil "level flight pitch at cruise speed" mark my instructor had me apply to the windscreen?

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Pops likes this.
  3. May 25, 2019 #3

Fritz,
    My CFI Tod was the chief architect he had a friend with a bench top laser. All the perimeter and all dial/glove box holes were laser cut and the markings were burned in at the same time after playing with power settings on trial panels. The legends really popped out with the 4 coats of spar varnish. It all came together great. I had to buy a tablet with shielding as not to spin the compass. Interrogated 20 plus at Best Buy with a marine whiskey compass and determined the models by Samsung that can come with a data plan were good. The wifi only TAB A 8.0 dropping the only the LTE radio in the construction was marked down to $130 saved they day! The layout was all based on a minimalist daytime VFR mission adding some glass but keeping the classic retro feel of the period aircraft. Someday the Cygnet may have a Ranger folded up next to it :) Mine was built by a perfectionist Zig Berzins who won awards with it in the late 80s and flew it to OSHKOSH until about 2006. It was important to do work that match his standards and therefore exceed Piper and Cessna's. It came out great no magic smoke was found after wiring it up! Now that I have a compass I can take my flight test! Zig is about 90 and going strong it is a honor to look after His Old Girl.
    NX237F.JPG SA CYGNET COVER.jpg IMG_6517-EFFECTS.jpg IMG_6519.jpg

4. May 25, 2019 #4

Yes my CFI is among the best that was his idea too! The Cygnet is a great plane to learn to fly in but as a shoulder wing it misses some visual references. The ELMO film in a laser printer proved out. Critical control parameters are hard coded in the velum and are instantaneous, those dials lag about 2 seconds. Flying is 95% visual most of the time is spent looking out those windows. If the reference is right you do not need the dials! After my solo little post it notes covered every thing but the CHT. I flew home and think I was within 100ft of the Traffic pattern altitude without a single dial. Another fine teaching moment thrown in!

cluttonfred likes this.
  5. May 25, 2019 #5

Color fill was Testors red model paint between the burned black lines before varnish! Good eye! I think you could engrave then varnish to seal the wood fiber and varnish again. Use what you have to run a test!

I like how ink fill worked out on our Box Wrenches... https://toolgirlsgarage.com/milwaukee-wrench-set-review/ sealing the wood fibers should give you the same affect. Or buy a CNC laser :)

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  6. May 25, 2019 #6

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

That's a good technique. There are a thousands of airline passengers who would be alive today if some pilots with thousands of hours had simply used "known pitch and power" to maintain aircraft control while they sorted out other problems.
    That centerpost of the windscreen would make a handy spot for a semi-permanent "cheater" strip reference of horizon locations at various cruise power settings or airspeed, Vx, Vy, or even the runway threshold "aimpoint" at approach speed and a 3 degree glideslope. It would only work for eyes at one level, but that will presumably be your eyes most of the time. It won't be needed if you fly enough to stay familiar with everything, but otherwise, maybe useful.

Pops and 103 like this.
  7. May 26, 2019 #7

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

That panel is repally nice!

8. May 29, 2019 #8

Thank you Victor Bravo. It was very satisfying work. Below is a test panel used to set up the laser. The varnish really brings the text out. The red paint is on the surface vs infilled. In person the charred edge around the ASI and Altimeter and Radio also look very nice post spar varnish.

before varnish.jpg

TerryM76 likes this.
  9. May 31, 2019 #9

Cy V

Cy V

Cy V

Beautiful panel!

The Cygnet looks like it might be kind of hard to get in and out of.

10. May 31, 2019 #10

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

To me it looked like you just step on to the floor, aim your butt and sit down. No spar and stick obstacle course to deal with. But I may be looking at the pictures in post #3 through rose colored glasses...

11. May 31, 2019 #11

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Might get a bit undignified if you are wearing an A-line skirt or kilt......

I really like the Cygnet....would like to see a Super Cygnet for 100+ HP and fuel tanks in the wings giving longer range......

12. Jun 1, 2019 #12

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Desperately needs a blown bubble canopy that swings upward and aft on parallel arms....

13. Jun 4, 2019 #13

Super easy I animated Pat Taylor getting out of the designers prototype below. My Mom approaching 80 had no issues my builder Zig above approaching 90 had no issues. Yes a 912 would make it a true STOL airplane...that handle outside the cockpit is the key to everything. Look at the room in the sky with a view. S-Turns are not required for taxi. I am 5'10" and I can see the ground 15 feet in front of me when seated.

Go roll another one. http://vikingaircraft.com/why-build-the-cygnet/

The world could use a few more Cygnets. About 110 in NZ, Europe and Australia because of efficiency, underappreciated here in the US with only 20 + or - ...Yes I am bias and like the design it is my first airplane I am training for LSP in it.

Easy to fuel as well. Stand on the floor boards or seat facing the tail. Pump the 100LL into the tank above the luggage space. Then put up with the jokes in the club house about breaking the bank buying 2-4 gallons... Yes the plane is a set of well chosen compromises and I love it. And now as promised a picture worth 1000 words. If you are logged in the animation appears to work if not click on the picture below.

Egress Cygnet.gif

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  14. Jun 4, 2019 #14

Performance with a 100hp Rotax looks great!
    Long range tanks are probably not in the picture from a gross weight perspective.

15. Jun 4, 2019 #15

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Impressive! The force is strong in this one........

16. Jun 4, 2019 #16

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

Here is another perspective:

17. Jun 4, 2019 #17

Yes also notice how sedate the landing is at 1:45, the only downside is it will give you a sense of tail wheel mastery you may not actually have.