• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Clearer Radio Transmissions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstull

R.I.P.
If you are getting a lot of engine and/or wind noise in your radio transmissions, I found this simple way to improve your sound. First, remeove the foam mic cover. Then wrap the mic with many layers of cloth masking (chafe) tape... then put the foam cover back on, or use a layer of soft cloth so it doesn't feel sticky on your lips.

I found that all the wind and engine noise from my open cockpit U/L was saturating the overly sensitive mic on my headset. The chafe tape decreases all the sound entering the mic, including your voice. Then you just talk louder to get your voice sounds back up to normal, but the noise sounds are greatly attenuated.

I tried different types of cloth and rubber for muffling mediums. Some distort the sound. Ordinary cloth works. But you have to use so many layers to get much effect, the mic gets too big. The chafe tape is easy to use, and works best.

I also found it helps to turn the "side tone" function on, so you can hear yourself. It uses up your battery a little faster, but at least you know what your transmissions sound like.

I don't know if this applies to all radio or headset combinations.

Attachments

• Apr21.jpg
    Apr21.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 154
Back