Clear Douglas Fir at Lowe's

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

chintonmd

I found 42 2x4's (8ft) of 100% clear Douglas Fir at Lowe's for $3.24 each. They were at the bottom of a full stack of lumber on one of the overhead racks. I waited over a month for them to bring the stack down. The stack on the right contains boards that will meet the mil spec after a bit of saw work. The ones on the left have problems. I got a quote recently for 1" CDF 1x4's that was somewhere between $2 and $4 per lineal foot!!! At those prices this stack would cost between $1400 and $2700... and I bought it for $136!!! Our wood comes from Idaho.

This was labeled as "Select Whitewood"

DFir1.jpg DFir2.jpg

Last edited:

RonL

How do you know it was doug fir?

I have so many friends that can look at almost any piece of wood and identify it correctly, that I would think anyone that ask that question would not know much about wood :ponder: generally the lumber is properly labeled in any lumber supply store.

And yes that is fir ;)

WonderousMountain

Okay, is it treated to resist rot, decay, splitting. How is the grain orientation and will you be glueing??? Congratulations though, its hard to decent wood in Lowes/HD.

chintonmd

The boards were stamped DFir at the mill but the paper tag on the end said whitewood. DFir is easy to spot from a distance because it has a distinctive pinkish orange and tan coloration.
The fir in SPF refers generally to the White Fir group, i.e., Noble Fir etc. SPF is where I find a lot of Spruce though. I find that Spruce is difficult to differentiate from the various pines. Most of the White Firs will be stamped as such. I also see some HemFir which is Western Hemlock, another good aircraft wood. It has a subtle pinkish tan color. The White Firs are mostly kind of a whitish yellow. It is said that this wood will substitute for spruce but I hate the stuff. It seems to "delaminate" between the growth rings very easily

FritzW

You guys that have access to decent Doug Fir could make a few bucks re-selling to guys like me that don't.

Autodidact

You guys that have access to decent Doug Fir could make a few bucks re-selling to guys like me that don't.

That actually sounds like something that could be done. Go around selecting aircraft grade Fir (and maybe even Pine, Hemlock, etc.), stocking it up and reselling it via a little website in some cozy part of the 'net. I wouldn't advertise it as explicitly aircraft grade; maybe call it clear with so many rings per inch. Those who know would understand the pricing, and it could still be less expensive?

FritzW

I live in an area where there's absolutely no good wood of any kind ...none. I live in the geographic center of the "crappy wood zone".

If someone here was selling some good stuff I'd be very interested.

usav8or

Nice... just need to watch out for pockets of sap. I bought Doug Fir spars for my Skybolt project from an outfit in Canada. It took them 8 months to find the boards in a shipment of wood to them that they were happy with. And, they were getting aircraft quality wood delivered to them on a weekly basis.

rheuschele

I have so many friends that can look at almost any piece of wood and identify it correctly, that I would think anyone that ask that question would not know much about wood :ponder: generally the lumber is properly labeled in any lumber supply store.

And yes that is fir ;)

I have many friends that can look at any post and identify a jackass. That if anyone who would answer a question with your remarks defiantly is a jackass. I didn't ask you any question, I asked the original poster. To the people who run this forum, this is why I left the last forum, being harrased for asking a question. Delete my membership if this is the crap I have to put up with.

RonL

I have many friends that can look at any post and identify a jackass. That if anyone who would answer a question with your remarks defiantly is a jackass. I didn't ask you any question, I asked the original poster. To the people who run this forum, this is why I left the last forum, being harrased for asking a question. Delete my membership if this is the crap I have to put up with.

I apologize for a knee jerk answer that reflects an attitude that is not really me. I should have waited for tho OP to answer your question.

Thanks for waiting a few days before making your feelings known.

Ron

pictsidhe

I've seen usable spruce, probably red, up to 2x6 at the big boxes I frequent in NC. They mostly sell construction grade, but the odd nice bit seems to accidentally slip through ;) Bigger stuff is yellow pine, not something I'd really like to use. They also have PAR pine, tulip poplar and red oak. I'm sure could get the majority of materials for an aircraft if I only wanted 90% of aircraft grade, which is awfully tempting when you're on a budget.